Parts for a restored 1948 RRA frameset

Re: Rims for 1948 RRA

bm0p700f":1too8d1x said:
Mine also has no braze on for a rack. An article on the classic lightweights about an rra used to set the 100 mile tt record is inspiring. I couldn't do 100 miles in 4 hours on a modern tt bike let alone on a rra from 1948. Credit to that man.

That man was the late Ray Booty the first under 4 hrs for the "100"

Nice pictures bag puss. This conforms I need a heron chainset but I can't see to find one. Can anyone help.

As for rims I really fancy some wooden rims. I would glue challange strada bianca tubs to them.

Got a renoylds stem and bars on the way and some solite hubs in 32f/40r. I will get renoylds stem and brooks saddle. Not sure if I should get a new one or a period one. New would be better for my but I think.

Quite looking forward to getting this started now and riding it.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
That chainset is the type fitted to low grade Raleigh's up til the 80's. Finding a genuine post-war RRA chainset will be tough, like most components that were specific to that bike (eg, pedals, stem, saddlebag rack), they're rare as rocking horse poop.

You should be able to find the fluted style of Heron chainset that was fitted to pre-war RRA's and post-war Raleigh Clubman's a bit more easily - they crop up on eBay from time to time. Otherwise, your best bet would be another period correct chainset like a Williams. The nicest, but quite hard to find is the C1200 (the genuine RRA chainset is based on it apparently), but a more common C34 or C1000 wouldn't look out of place either. That's what will be going on my RRA when I get round to building it up.

If you haven't looked at it already, Peter Kohler's RRA page (http://www.ipernity.com/blog/286349/579471) is pretty comprehensive.

Good luck with the build and post pictures please :)

Re:

Problem I am told with the RRA chain set is that they were prone to breaking on the thinner bits of the ring when riding hard . The RRA I owned had the replacement ring which I am told was stronger .

I will keep my eyes and ears open for RRA chain rings for you .

I have a large Williams ring {54} year code zc 3 bolt fitting that I am not going to use .
It is NOS lovely chrome .Massive leg muscles not included .
£30 including post.

I will post a picture .
Link here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@ ... ed-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@ ... ed-public/

Ray Booty was a Raleigh employee, the chainset in the pic looks like a williams 5 pin, to get the large ring 54?

When he did the straight out hundred under 3.5 hours I think it was reported he used the SA ultra close 3 speed, plus and minus around 6%.

The Road Records Association (RRA) records were a way for manufacturers to get some publicity with either amateur or professional riders, very popular in the 30s.
Its demise was partly due to records being heavily influenced by weather, and the start of road racing being allowed on the public roads.

Keith

Re:

Well I have put a bid in for what I think is a William c34 chainset on ebay.

It cheap so of its not right it can go back on ebay. Anyone know the bb axle length I will need for this.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Bicyc ... fresh=true

All this info is good. Now looking for a seatpost. I'll start a build thread soon.

I think I have decided on wooden rims as I have always wanted a set.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have read the link about rra ' s. I nearly fell over in my seat at some of the records set on these bikes.

I might do a tt on it in homage to these old riders.

Back