Parts for a restored 1948 RRA frameset

Re:

Thanks for those rim dimensions. That confirms it was meant to have 27" wheels so this solves the problem.

I would not use skinny tyres on this bike. Nice big fat ones like the challange strada bianca tubular.

If you don't use all the available clearance then you simply wasting space.

Re: Rims for 1948 RRA

keithglos":1xqwp2gi said:
Jonny, 26 x 1 3/8 were used on commuter and roadster bikes, never on "club/racers".

Keith
I get more confused every time I look at wheel sizes for older bikes!

Re:

If you get the GB Hiduminium 'standard' levers, I have reproduction Shockstop 'honking' rubbers manufactured. Do a Google search for images. They are easy to fit and make riding on the hoods comfortable.
Philip
Currently in Bagan,Myanmar on holiday.

That is what I like to hear as the thought if riding on metal levers does not fill me with joy.

Currently my thinking is to build the bike up as a fixed gear but I have always fancied an early geared system. The obvious choice is a sturmley archer hub but what options are there for period derailleur systems as these fascinate me. What I dont know is compatibility.

I have spotted this. Looks like it could be old enough. I have 2 hrs I will probably buy it but what I don't know is how the mech mounts to the frame.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-DERAILLE ... SwwE5WUhmM

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

If you are going for gears will it be 1/2 x 1/8 or 1/2 x 3/32. Back in the 40s it was not unknown to file down a chainring. I doubt you will find a chainring in 3/32 that looks right for the RRA.

I can't see you clamping gears onto the chainstay either. But the SA perhaps FM would be very fragile.

I used an early Cyclo Benelux 10 speed in 1950.

Perhaps a single roller Simplex or cyclo on a close ratio, 14 / 17 /20 would be about enough for one.

Looks like fixed to start with.

Keith

Re:

I have two RRAs; one is the usual touring model with 27 inch Dunlop SL rims and a Sturmey FW (I believe an AM or FM would be most common). Of more interest to the original poster is a 1949 RRA ordered as a TT single speed bike by a well known VCC member. It has no mudguards obviously, but also none of the myriad braze-ons except the two lamp bracket fork pips. It also has, from day one 27 inch Dunlop SL rims. It is an extremely good ride. Hiduminium brakeset.

Mine also has no braze on for a rack. An article on the classic lightweights about an rra used to set the 100 mile tt record is inspiring. I couldn't do 100 miles in 4 hours on a modern tt bike let alone on a rra from 1948. Credit to that man.

Back