Pace RC200 F5 Bottom bracket replacement

Mijbil

Dirt Disciple
So with a little play developing in my BB, I have decided to replace the BB on my RC200 F5.

I have got the old one out, and it is a Shimano BB UN72. I thought i might be able to replace it with a new one, but of course being an old bike, they are no longer available it seems! :facepalm: :roll:

Any ideas which will be the best BB to fit? the UN72 is quite heavy, so I'm wondering if there is something lighter which will fit - the Pace manual for the F6 recommends Hope or Royce, though I'm not sure if the dimensions for the F6 are the same as the F5. I can't find any documentation for the F5.

Anyway, it's a square taper spindle, 122.5mm long, and it needs to work with Middleburn RS2 cranks. 68mm shell width.

The only one out there which would seem to fit is the UN55, though at 8 quid I'm worried it could be a bit naff.

Any suggestions?

Any 122.5/68 square taper BB will work.

You can still buy royce new... and they are exquisite.

One more thing, you got lucky getting the RS2s to work on a 122.5, mine needed a MUCH longer BB.

Re:

Well it seems there isn't much choice out there, which is perhaps a good thing! I looked at the Royce ones, gorgeous I have to say, but 300 quid is a to for something I am never going to see!

I've gone for a S/H XT one from allthingsbike, hopefully this will be good. I was a bit worried about the UN55 and 26, because they don't seem to be attached to a group it is difficult to establish quality.

The RS2's were already on the BB I took off, so I am working on the assumption that with the same size spindle all will be ok! There wasn't a lot of clearance I admit, I thought that was just down to fine Pace engineering!

Re:

The UN55 is an excellent bottom bracket and Better than any secondhand bottom bracket of unknown usage.
It's a fraction heavier than the 72 but now shares much in common with it as they upped the position of it when the 7x series was dropped.

Its the best fit and forget you can now buy.

Its what everyone on here buys if they need a replacement that just works.

If you want XT or XTR ones then I would normally stick a wanted add up as people have NOS and slightly used ones quite often.

XT 7x series about 20 to 25 for hardly used, new ones.
XTR 9x series probably double that.

Back