Oversized frame tubes, ugly bling or actually beneficial?

legrandefromage":2v61423h said:
I cant see anything wrong with aluminium as a frame material, its cheap, plentiful and great when done properly

Unlike Manitou, or Orange or countless other who didnt do it right!

570293d1285307566-manitou-fs-project-gone-wrong-manitou-crack.jpg

file.php

The cracks around the weld line are caused by residual stress inherent in any high temperature welding application and needs careful design consideration and suitable post weld heat treatment to reduce the stresses but it is not completely possible to erradicate them .
The crack at the Chris King could just be a size mismatch issue, i.e. too much of an interference fit.

Just been reminded its Yield strength and modulus (stiffness) for aluminmimuimnmnmium.

I'd save your wrath for carbon fibre. It may be the wonder material but its manufacture is nasty, its quality control is nasty, its wastage is nasty and it shouldnt be allowed...

Carbon fibre decays in quite a short time frame too! 10yrs down the line it's a lot weaker and prone to catastrophic failure.
Steel has rust issues but us easily sorted.
Aluminium can be periodically heat-treated to reduce age hardening and other stress induced issues but it will also need regulated artificial age hardening heat treatment to bring it back to original T spec after the stress relieving, you'll need a big oven too!

I am definitely not an expert on materials but I do know that my low back pain resolved when I switched to a steel frame. I'm sure that a more rigid frame does a better job of transferring power to the rear wheel but I'm not racing. I just want to enjoy a ride through the trees.

Back