Bonded carbon tube frames - Members Perspectives?

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
So I've seen a number of those aluminum lugged / carbon tube frames from the early 90's on the local buy and sell marketplaces over the past years and wonder what people think of them? I remember thinking they were very cool BITD, but now I am completely biased against them as a potential vintage acquisition (based on absolutely no real world experience with them). Examples include the Giant/Cadex bikes, US based Raleigh Technium bikes and I just saw a nice condition Trek example for sale.

I'm wondering what people who actually owned these bikes think? Were they nice bikes to ride? Will the bonded carbon / aluminum technology stand the test of time?

I really enjoyed my cadex when I had it. Didn't have any issues or concerns. It rode very nicely and it's a frame/build I regret parting with. Light, strong, comfy. Wore modern kit nicely.

My current rider is a bonded all aluminium frame. I ride it very hard. It is great. It is a Miyata.

I put thousands of miles on my Epic Comp before it was stolen, with zero issues, great riding bike. Right now I have a Univega CB6.3 which is a rebadged Cadex MTB, and a Cadex CFR2, both of which are very well built, lightweight bikes that have had no issues either.

I've had a DB WCF since 1997. It's been ridden regularly in that time and there's not a glimmer of any problems - no creaks or cracks or anything.

It all depends on the polymers used in the resins etc. Some do have bad degradation problems especially from the early years of production. In particular, the plain bonded joint types, threaded and bonded joints seem to be holding up ok!

I have a 1991 Stumpjumper Epic still going and a Trek 9900 OCLV that looks factory perfect around all bonding points.

The DBR WCF's are a bit different from the usual 'screwed and glued' stuff. I have a WCF6.0 and it is a great riding bike, also no issues with the frame.

Got a 1991 trek 8700, a 1992, Giant Cadex CFM2 and a 1992 Specialized Epic.
I don’t have really ride the Specialized.
The Giant is made for big legs. It’s very stiff and shakes a lot.
the Trek is my favorite. very light, well balanced, it’s really a super bike.

About bonded technology? A lot of rumors about carbon. Some told me that Giant broke on the chainstays. But steel, titanium or aluminium could breake too…

Back