OVERBURYS.

Even though i find this part of the job very tedious, there is no better type of satisfaction than taking a pile of worn out unloved components and making it all good again.

And it also means i can keep the bike spec and period correct.... :cool:

The wheels. O/E spec, now totally rebuilt, with stainless spokes, new bearings grease etc, fully serviced and true for the next couple of decades worth of riding........ :cool:

Attachments

• MAVIC DEORE STAINLESS REBUILT.JPG
    MAVIC DEORE STAINLESS REBUILT.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,031
  • MAVIC REBUILD.JPG
    MAVIC REBUILD.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,031
  • STAINLESS.JPG
    STAINLESS.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,031
the_duke":1zt4esfh said:

Its starting to come along nicely now,
just gotta refinish the handle bar stem and assemble and service the bike, and then she will be ready for its much looked forward too first outing.

I would very MUCH like to finish the bike off with a silver Shimano Deore DX seatpost though, instead of the one shown in the pic above, which i think is a replacement fitted at some point in time.

Does anyone have one.....it would be the last piece of the puzzle for phase one of this journey.... :oops:

Also with the help of a very skilled member here, phase two of this bike is a couple of months away, and ideally i could do with a Salsa stem, something with a high angle if at all possible please....any suggestions would be greatly recieved.

:cool:

great thread and even greater Mrs. and kids :D

So, mind sharing the process you use for getting those old bits sparkling again?

Indeed, great job mate, my friend had a custom estay overbury's in hot pink. Lovely bike, got nicked shortly after he bought it and I saw it about a month later with some scrote riding it. I was on my driving test at the time so asked the instructor if we could pull over which we did and spoke to the guy. He told me he bought it off another friend of his, gave his address and name and left. There was no way we could get the bike in the car and it was pre cell phone days so we had to take his word for it, stupid me though because he gave false details and that was the last we saw of it, totally gutted :( not as gutted as my mate though :(

sinnerman":1v3woq89 said:
I would very MUCH like to finish the bike off with a silver Shimano Deore DX seatpost though, instead of the one shown in the pic above, which i think is a replacement fitted at some point in time.

Does anyone have one.....it would be the last piece of the puzzle for phase one of this journey.... :oops:

Don't know what size you're after but if shimming is an option?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Silverfish":nu2d4sv6 said:
Wow, I cannot believe how well those used components have come up like new. Good effort sinnerman!

Cheers D.. :)

GoldenEraMTB":1woblb0n said:
great thread and even greater Mrs. and kids :D

So, mind sharing the process you use for getting those old bits sparkling again?

Thanks mate. I think the kids think ive lost the plot, but thankfully the Misses does understand.....SHE GETS ME SHE GETS MY BIKES....!!!

As for the polishing, i seem to spend every waking minute these days polishing old bicycle components.... :roll: but i suppose it reduces the costs of the builds, and keeps the old kit from the scrap heap.

Originally i used the polishing machine i made from old washing machine parts, but sadly at the beginning of the year the motor packed up, and i have struggled ever since, so i had to bite the bullet, and revert to using a cheap bench grinder that i modified to use polishing mops.......and to be fair for a very cheap quick fix, it ticks the boxes perfectly well, and for around £60.00 all in, it cuts down on the work and time involved and saves my aging hands.

Pic one, the old faithful, pic two the new quick fix.

Other than the polisher, all thats needed is a tin of Brasso.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 731
  • handmade_polisher_a_life_saver_198.jpg
    handmade_polisher_a_life_saver_198.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 731
Rich":2gg7ea21 said:
Indeed, great job mate, my friend had a custom estay overbury's in hot pink. Lovely bike, got nicked shortly after he bought it and I saw it about a month later with some scrote riding it. I was on my driving test at the time so asked the instructor if we could pull over which we did and spoke to the guy. He told me he bought it off another friend of his, gave his address and name and left. There was no way we could get the bike in the car and it was pre cell phone days so we had to take his word for it, stupid me though because he gave false details and that was the last we saw of it, totally gutted :( not as gutted as my mate though :(

Thanks rich, im gutted to hear that story, and such a great shame too because that is one Overburys i would very much like to have seen..... :cool:

Back