OVERBURYS.

Sinnerman - I love all your bikes and the quality standard you always set it outstanding.

Because this was a present I would personally want to keep the paint the same. Respray it the same colour and it'll always remind you of when you received it and what an awesome surprise it was. Another colour might change the experience a bit - not sure if you get what I mean but I've given it a go. ;-)

Other than that - gotta be flat bars.... :)

Nice :)

Are those Timbuk2's originals or remakes? They would be ideal for my '87 Kili Flyer.

Carl.

legrandefromage":tnk5lu8f said:
Theres 'patina' and then theres tired buggered paintwork!

These are not fast XC bikes, they are almost trials speed with high BB and short tubes, its slow twisty technical stuff all the way.

Not sure when I'm going to next ride mine but I think a period riser bar is in order just to see how it behaves.

No Patina just tired...but bikes like this deserve the retrolove to help preserve the Overburys legacy, especially now they are no more.. :(

Rod_Saetan":lmdlg7e1 said:
sinnerman":lmdlg7e1 said:
Mate i cant really leave it like it is, as the years roll on it will just deteriorate.. :cry:

It really is in very good overall rideable condition, a tube and a tune up, and it would be a perfectly good rider.
To be fair, for what it cost, im quite impressed, the forks arent bent, which was this models achilles heal, the frame has surface corrosion, but not life threatening.

It looks pretty rough on the top tube, and the stays, but I would keep it as it is, I reckon there is something to be said for original paintwork and its only going to get scratched if you repaint it and ride it anyway. I'm sure whatever you decide you will be as thorough as usual and it will turn out great anyway.

thanks mate.

We_are_Stevo":2bhyi2f6 said:
Why the hand wringing?

It'll get stripped, polished, painted, pampered and God knows what just like the rest of your bikes; I'm sure you only do it to show up the rest of us! :LOL:

I do like the original paint though, sets it apart from some of the others which can look a little on the drab side of understated?

Thought it before from the pix of your bikes; I'm loving the view from your decking... :cool:

PS: I need a 'Green with Envy' emoticon!

it will definately get stripped and worked on and painted, and then ridden, but how im undecided after seeing so many really nice examples, all grouped together.

As for showing off, no mate, for me its all about the bike, the builder, the history and there journey, and my own retro experiences, thanks to John we all have a place in space where we can share the love... :cool: :D

Rob Atkin":2ul3w1qc said:
Sinnerman - I love all your bikes and the quality standard you always set it outstanding.

Because this was a present I would personally want to keep the paint the same. Respray it the same colour and it'll always remind you of when you received it and what an awesome surprise it was. Another colour might change the experience a bit - not sure if you get what I mean but I've given it a go. ;-)

Other than that - gotta be flat bars.... :)

Thanks bud, i understand what you mean, MMP and the kids have pics of me opening the box, my face was a picture as you can imagine...lol.

Tbh..., the advert of the Overburys with the Oranges, has been stuck in my mind for decades, i thought the advert was a bloody clever way of making a point to potential customers who were in the market for a new race horse at the time, and a very clever "Two fingers" to might of Orange mountain bikes, who were fast becoming a British player in the Mountain bike Scene, for obvious reasons. (but sadly now i fear i may never get to the bottom of the story behind it.)

For nothing other than nostalgia ref the brand and there underdog will to fight on, for years whilst looking for a suitable example/conditon/size, it was my intention to replicate the bike in the advert.

I was so pissed when i missed the auction, i was kicking myself for hours, the fact that it was a present really has added real extra value to the whole thing.

I started to wonder about colours when i saw it, and thought perhaps it may be nice to go a bit mad with it, not helped by seeing so many exceptional examples owned by people here.

As for the whole handlebar issue, Drops V straight...., i have only ever owned one mountain bike with drop bars, and it was bitd...( a Specialized RockCombo.)

The Overburys....,well thats a different story..., as a boy my father took me to a race, i didnt own a MTB at the time, just road bikes ( this gutted me because my friends were all getting them), and i was only just starting to compete myself, in RRs and TTs.

this was and still is the only time i have EVER seen or heard of my father placing a bet, he isnt a gambling man.

That race was the MAN v HORSE v BIKE.

several people riding around were using drop handlebars, on there Mountain bikes, and it was the first time i had seen an Overburys. as you can imagine i was impressed, and used this heavily to convince my father that a mountain bike was not going to be a passing fad...!!! ( I shoulda placed a bet with him myself...lol )

it was quite something, my father remembers a lot more than me, he does remember being dumbfounded to see a female rider entering the race, and he remembers being totally gutted he bet on a horse, only to loose his bet, to a bike.....LMAO.

Sadly i didnt find out for years, who that lady was, or how special she is.........

that lady was Jacqui Phelan... :cool:

For this reason, (nostalgia again) and i feel the frame geometry would lend itself well to drop bars, and seeing MR Ks stunner (that mans a dark horse... ;) ) that i have been contemplating drops.

( Pic below of JP from the front cover of Bicycle Quarterly)...LEGEND.

Attachments

• JP....jpg
    JP....jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,486
Chute55uk":23rrb0n4 said:
repaint it but the same colour definitly would look great

Thanks for your imput Chute, im still unsure, but its leaning that way i think.. :?

drcarlos":2h8s165g said:
Nice :)

Are those Timbuk2's originals or remakes? They would be ideal for my '87 Kili Flyer.

Carl.

Thanks Bud, things can only get better from here... ;)

The Timbukl IIs....i dont know what you would call them, the arent new old stock, i think if memory serves me right, Jeff bought all the original moulds/gear.. :? from panaracer to re-introduce the tyres. they certainly differ to the modern re-makes i have, the Ritchey Z-max, and others i have seem to be made differently, or the material is different, the side walls on the Timbuk IIs are as close to colour etc of the tyres from Bitd, to anything i have ever seen. ( but im not a clued up enough on it really) :?

Back