Overbury’s Pioneer 88-90? Interested?

Ageisjustanumber

Retro Newbie
I have a late 80s Overbury’s Pioneer I have recently put together as a work hack. However, I need space in my bike shed and it also seems slightly criminal to be riding this lovely frame around work where it will probably get scratched and rained on....
If there’s much interest then I am happy to sell it to someone who will appreciate it for what it is. If not it will stay as my work hack.

Lovely fillet brazing and a selection of old and random parts to get it running as a single speed.

The Mavic 616RD bottom bracket is lovely and smooth but is stuck in the bottom bracket shell. I tried to loosen it but only managed to move one cup ring, there is obviously some bimetallic corrosion holding it fast. To be honest, I only tried to move it to adjust the chain line for single speed, it’s set for a triple chainset so I ended up just using spacers to get my chain line. The original Shimano deore XT U brake is there, front brake is a later 90’s XT v brake. Shimano 105 headset, USE handlebar and integrated bar-ends. NOS front wheel, Araya tr50 rim and LX parallax hub, rear is deore LX on a Mavic rim. Odd seat tube size, I tried to fit a 27.2 and ended up fitting a 26.0 with a shim.

The paint job is pretty mad, suitably 80s/90s. The hand painted lips/paws/hoofs/whatever are underneath the decals and these are lacquered over so I’m assuming it’s the original custom paint?

Anyone interested or who can shed any light on this unusual bike, please let me know. I got the frame from a work mate who had it knocking around his workshop and had no idea or interest in it! I love the uniqueness of it and the brazing work so won’t be sad to keep it if no one bites.
I’m in Hertfordshire
Cheers
Darren

Attachments

• 7DBB948B-9D2F-4188-9E6D-E03F10E46BEE.jpeg
    7DBB948B-9D2F-4188-9E6D-E03F10E46BEE.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 465
Re:

Lovely fillet brazing, any idea of the tube set used? Colombus or Reynolds?

Attachments

• 00B691EA-A1E7-4F93-87DB-5C96A93536DC.jpeg
    00B691EA-A1E7-4F93-87DB-5C96A93536DC.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 445
Re:

Just realised I haven’t put a price on this and the forum rules state I should. Don’t really know what it is worth but I know it’s rare and works. £500?
The bottom bracket is probably removable if you want it to be with some perseverance, lot’s of patience and wd40 soaking and maybe heat? There are doubtless experts on here who would know how to remove it without killing it or the frame. It’s super smooth though, so unless you need it out for repainting etc, it might be more hassle than it’s worth

Re:

Cheers for the email history man. I should say that I don’t want to break it, I’d rather not have a pile of parts left in my shed. Throw some numbers at me :)

Hello, cool bike...have a friend who rides a Pioneer , and spent some time riding it during the summer. Possibly interested, depending on size and postage. I note in the above post that your not keen to split the bike up.

I have some questions on the frame size.
Seattube length c of bb to c of tt ?
Topetube length c-c ?
H’set size ?

Thanks in advance for info

Back