Orlowski SS Cx

Re: Re:

oonaff":26o4bzwm said:
hi ede,yes its v nice.
could you please talk about the builder, your choice of tubing,geometry, your bespoke fit and the
rest of it[components gearing] please
kevin

The builder was Jacek Orlowski and I left the tubing choice up to him (it's Dedacciai Zero Uno).

The geometry was based on my IF Planet X which is a pretty good fit but not custom (to me at least). I measured it up as best I could and sent the details to Jacek. He returned a bike CAD almost immediately and I made a couple of changes (a fractionally longer headtube, a fractionally shorter headtube) plus asked for mudguard eyelets (in case I ever want to use it to commute and/or winter train) and clearance front and rear for 45c tyres with no clogging. That was about it as far as the custom nature went bar the paint which I prevaricated around for months although I'm very happy with my choice and how it turned out (odious UKIP references notwithstanding). Oh, I also went for 135mm rear spacing as I already have a 135mm spaced ss/fixed bike and planned on sharing wheels.

For components, I just used what I had lying around although I did treat myself to a new headset, freewheel and cables. Gearing I went with 32x18 which is the 700c version of the classic 26" 2:1 ss gearing. In practice it seems just right although obviously very spinny on the road.

What have I learned or would do differently? i might have had a slightly greater slope on the top tube (it's about 2 degrees) to give a bit more clearance for Little Ed and I might have gone with disc mounts after all although I do like the clean lines of the track ends. Those are mights though and I must admit to being very happy with how it turned out and the service I received from Jacek, both during the building but particularly the quality of the finished article - I reckon I'd have had to pay twice the price to get similar built in the UK.

markyp":2xr2ukgp said:
How did the off-road ride go?

First proper offroad ride today. I started a bit tentatively to say the least as my first dirty outing since I broke my wrist. My initial impression was that the bike was very tall and I worried that I'd messed up the sizing (usually bikes tend to be a little low). However once I relaxed and hit dirt it all really started to come together and I found it very comfortable riding in the drops (the extra couple of mm on the head tube paying off perhaps?). i also found that I had surprising confidence for a first ride although that may have been the conditions, soft but not muddy with a good coverage of leaves - with the latter I was certainly glad of the very wide clearance I'd spec'd as it didn't clog up once.

I probably need to true the front wheel and replace the bearings in the rear (ok, I really should get myself some new wheels rather than use this 7 year old pair that I got secondhand) and I may fit some Sram S500 aero levers instead of the Shimano 600 tricolor but otherwise I'll just ride it as it is.

Oh, and a few photos from today.....

Attachments

• PA280273.JPG
    PA280273.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 632
  • PA280281.JPG
    PA280281.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 632
  • PA280285.JPG
    PA280285.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 632
And a couple more....

Attachments

• PA280287.JPG
    PA280287.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 631
  • PA280283.JPG
    PA280283.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 631
Re:

yeah cheer's, it must nice to think there probably isnt another paint job like that in the world.
personally i like the levelish top tube. :cool:

Agree about the levelish top tube, or at least I do until an impromptu dismount and seeing stars.

Actually, one thing I did forget in the speccing was to have rear brake on the left (the internal cabling rather decides which brake goes to which hand), not really a problem as I have a few road bikes with a similar set up and it caused no issue today but highlights the need to take into account every detail when placing the order.

Looking forward to seeing it in action at KK - at least your penchant for rear mech eating is over this year...

Attachments

• Real Orlowski.jpg
    Real Orlowski.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 584
Back