Original, high spec, classic Old School Planet X Jack Flash

IvanKane

Retro Newbie
This high specification Planet X Jumpin' Jack Flash is a real Old School Classic Dirt Jump bike and is in really clean original condition. It has been stored away for yonks, but it fresh as a daisy and ready to rock. As you can tell, it hasn't had a hard life, the wear and tear hide no secrets - this hasn't been hammered, that's obvious!
The frame is a true classic and was a 5 star scored product when new. 7005 Aluminium, gusset reinforced gussets! :) Hydro formed tubes. Jack Flash is both strong and light great for gathering air mile and short hop flights.
Planet X was founded on the Jack Flash and it's a landmark in British MTB history.
The paint and decals on this one are original and have been on the bike since new in 2001.

The frame has both disc brake and & block brake mounts, but this example was built with all the right stuff, it's like a wish list you'd have had 18 years ago all ticked off; Marzocchi Bomber 2001 alloy bridge Forks – black with red and white decals. Very good condition, visually and in operation. smooth travel. FSA Pig headset. F.u.n.n. HMf Downhill/Dirt Jump stem – 50mm with 4-bolt bar clamping plate.

F.u.n.n. Dirt Jump bars. (5 out of 5 scoring product and no longer available!) Oversize, elliptical welded cross brace, Extra High Rise (75mm - 3"), Extra Wide Clamping Area - for all types of stubby stems, Extra Length grip area - for flanged BMX grips, 6061 T6 Heat treated Aluminum, Laser Etched Graphics.

The wheelset is 24" and in primo condiion - Halo Combat rims (black anodised) stainless steel spokes with Dia Compe Diatech hubs both with Quick Release axles. Tyres are Halo Choir Boy Lite and not really what could be classed as boys, they're old enough o officially be adults now, i.e. you'd be wise to pull fresh rubber over the rim if you want a safe ride!

Cranks are high end FSA Power Pro three piece and a really cool early MRP DH-1 Ultra CNC machined double side disc, twin wheel T2 type roller system
chain retention system.
These were big money - £189 back in the day!
It certainly looks the part! :)

The groupset is Shimano Exage 300EX and gears selected via a Shimano SRAM TRX trigger shifter - the bees knees for a big cheese when new.

You notice the seat is covered with a plastic bag and there's a reason for this... I have literally just fitted it to the bike. I scored it off eBay and it is New Old Stock. I had to buy it as it's exactly same Tioga seat that was on the bike from new. The original had corner tears on both sides and the white printed branding and stripe were worn. I always thought it was the element which let the side down, it looked cack! When I spotted the NOS seat the Buy It Now button was pressed immediately. I made a hole in the bag to fit the seat, but left it on to keep it fresh. It hasn't been sat on, I'm leaving that to the next owner. I have the original Tioga and it comes with the ike.

Patina is the posh word that some use as a way of saying there are a few scuffs and scratches here and there, but it certainly doesn't look its age, it's in really nice condition.
I really rate the Jack Flash, but I'm into BMX and a total wuss who couldn't, wouldn't and shouldn't jump or ride downhill - I can just about ride off a curb, and the important word is just!

So I've made my mind up, this Old School Flash is yours for cash. There are others out there, but check the spec and compare condition. It wasn't cheap in 2001, well into four figures as those who remember will remember. Today, I'd like £300 from you, and the NOS Tioga I just weighed out thirty odd quid for is included. I'm on 07739 636740 and based in Surrey.
I have loads photos if you are interested.

There's some reports from owners back in the day here:

https://www.mtbr.com/product/bikes/fram ... flash.html

Attachments

• JF5.JPG
    JF5.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 1,164
Back