Orange P5 frame No. MT 807.08245 Can anyone date the frame. Would be grateful for any help.

So the disc tab looks the same as mine now I'm looking at the pics on a monitor and not my phone. Looks like a Hope headset in there, which is good - and should do you well.

Original paint would have been sprayed, and there was also a nickel finish. The 1997 catalogue is linked below, although there is often some crossover with 1997 dated frames being built into 1998 bikes (mine is)

Orange themselves provide a service to respray/finish frames - they put them down the same line as the new bikes, but only use the current colour palette. Finish is very good, as you'd expect. I recall the cost being about £250-£300 from memory so way more than any old P7 frame is worth (yours around £50 given condition, but more with the headset). Mine has sentimental value so I was prepared to spend.

Powder coating is probably a cheaper option and brings up a choice of colours. You can do a lot of the prep yourself in respect of sanding back and rubbing down. Also gives you a chance to inspect the frame for any damage/rust. A search on here will likely bring up some pointers etc.

Good luck!

Hello Can I say how much I enjoyed the information and the experience of Orange bicycles. Today I took it to Black Cat restorations, based near Tuxford Notts. Stuart who owns the business is working on six down hill world championship bikes with the most beautiful Suntour forks. I discussed the colour with him and have chosen a standout silver paint job. I took the headset of and bottom bracket, tomorrow the frame will be sand blasted and painted soon after. I will forward photos when the bike is built along with a list of parts to complete the finish.
Again what can I say but THANKS and best wishes to you

Pretty sure Orange had moved to powder coat by the time this frame was built? It's certainly what they use now. Think hard tail frames are £200 inc postage back?

I've had a few 14". Don't think they offered it every years but certainly did some times.
Thank you for your reply Markoc said the frame dates to 1989 and the rear disc mount is original. The frame will be sandblasted tomorrow and painted soon after.
Best wishes John.

Back