Orange Formula

e, give him a test ride on a new tricked rig, disk brakes, suspension, weighing waay less. impress him so much he'll wanna sell the formula..
;) ahhaha

Ah, the Orange Formula,

Now there was a bike...when I had my Clockwork, I was racing at round one of the MBC in Blandford Forum in Dorset and one of the expert racers was washing his. A partically muddy race, he had the foresight to put beeswax on the frame and when he came to wash the mud off the silky black paint and gold stickers shined brightly.

It too had the one piece bar stem and was decked out with XT kit, very, very nice bike.

Rich :cool:

PS Good luck with the purchase...any updates?

I remember when orange started, I think there were two bikes, the clockwork and a custom made frame, but I don’t remember the name. The catalogue was a piece of A4 with a photograph stuck to it.

Tushingham wasn't it?

no news on the purchase of an Ali O - I may sit this one out.

There is one on the bay (may be cheap too as pretty basic), but its collect only from Leeds, and with new baby coming on Friday, I really can't be arsed!!

Tushingham started before orange.

I remember when choosing between a Tushingham and specialized rock hopper, I bought the rock hopper.

Had some vague recollection there was some windsurfing connection with Orange but wasn't sure of the details. A quick search on google revelas the following

Orange Mountain Bikes history begins with the Tushingham B52, which was one of the UK's first mountain bikes. It was created as a specialty product by Cumbria in the Lake District and as an offshoot from Tushingham Sails, a leading manufacturer of quality windsurfing sails. Later, Lester Noble, a partner in Tushingham Sails, fell in love with mountain biking and left Tushingham Sails. He partnerned with Steve Wade, a bike racer with an engineering background, and formed Orange Mountain Bikes.

If anyone has anymore details or pics be interested to see 'em

i had an orange formula

What a great bike you never saw many in 91 i had it on rigid forks with XT then in 92 with XTR pace suspension tioga disc drive it was an awesome and light wish i still had it heres some pics

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,162
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,162
Orange 'Formula'...... thats definately my unicorn. Still searching :(
Nice BITD pics danpiero. My dad ordered my 'O' frameset back in the day in the matt silver and Lester rang him to say that they had none left but would I like a black one. Apparently they'd done 6 in black and also offered a generous discount on a custom stalk ( with a freebie orange spotted helmet cover ) if I wanted it ..... that's the only part I need to complete now. Was considering getting a custom one remade to complete.
Became 'my' formula esque 'Aluminium O'. Restored last year to the spec I had at 6th form college. Still lovin' it..... warm weather rider that feels as good as it was back then... got 3 'O' s now! :oops: ..... and an 'elite' currently under resto.

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• alo-w1 (700x525).jpg
    alo-w1 (700x525).jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 1,149
  • DSCF2071 (725x544).jpg
    DSCF2071 (725x544).jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 1,149
Lovely bikes guys,

I have a review that MTBer did on the Formula back in 1991, will dig it out and scan for you guys!

Rich

Back