Orange C-16R - 1995

It's a cheap Ultrasonic cleaner I got from Aldi years ago. Similar can be had online. I use cheap bike wash stuff in it (that I tested on anodising for a week - safe). Then a good rinse - going over with a toothbrush, fine paint brush, cloth etc depending on item. Then dry with compressed air.

Frames paintworks had a bit of touching up - definitely not going for a full restoration at this stage. Maybe in a few years time - maybe. Already costing me more than I'd hoped even though one of my cheaper builds. The Alivio chainrings were the wrong side of worn so got an upgrade LX M563 chainset inbound from 2manyoranges. The front shifter has a crack in part of the casing & a split indicator window so got a spares or repair unit inbound from ebay for £5. Saddles needs a bit of work. Headset to clean & check. Hopefully getting a missing grey plastc collar for one of the brakes from Foz. Front hub needs bearings & cones & the rear rim needs replacing. It's gone concave over one section. If anyone has a gold Mavic 230 TIB rim or rear wheel spare please let me know! It's going to run on a set of Mavic X517 citrons with Hope Ti hubs for now. It's also going to get my Orange Ram Rods as I think they look good on a black bike.

Attachments

• 15apr20a.jpg
    15apr20a.jpg
    740.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 15apr20b.jpg
    15apr20b.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 262
Stalled for now. Waiting on a rear rim, rear hub bearings, front shifter parts. Fitted the LX563 crankset after replacing the worn middle ring with a Blackspire ring I had on hand, new old stock MKS pedals to replace the cracked plastic Wellgo's, new Ritchey headset (except for top-nut). I fitted the Ram Rods. Maybe just outside the date range but in my imaginary scenario these could have been a old stock item the shop still had in stock. Works for me! :LOL:

Attachments

• 22apr20.jpg
    22apr20.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 235
The ram rods look good on it. I wouldn’t worry if there are a few years between the 1992 ram rods to mid 90’s bike. My 1989 Orange formula has an 1993 orange gel velo saddle on it, it matches and I like it. If I wanted to be period specific I would have a rolls or a turbo saddle. But sometimes it’s nice just to put what you want on it, as long it’s follows a similar theme.

Aye- true. The rear mech that came with it is a LX M550 date coded 1989 so not all as original as I first thought! If it works as it should it will be staying on. Probably not the last time I'll fit a Blackspire ring either!

That has come up nice. :p

Loving that cleaning machine, may look into one of those myself.

Also loving the dedication to breaking down the derailleur. Never gone that far before, is it easy to disassemble and reassemble?

Cheers. Unfortunately the last 2 fettles have knackered it. Eyeing a better one up on eBay. I found a Park Tools tutorial so had that to fall back on for the mech Very satisfying. First time I've done but will b the benchmark fettle going forward.

Another one finished.
Fitted a new KMC chain, Shimano HG cassette, MKS pedals & Ritchey Logic headset, Kool Stop inserts pads, rear rim & tyres. I upgraded the crankset from Alivio to LX & swapped the Hot Rod bars for Ram Rods. Rest of groupset is a mix as I got it - Alivio rear hub, STX front, LX mechs. The rear is a LX550 dated Dec 1989 so not sure what the story is there! Just for fun I gave it a complete strip down & ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner (as illustrated earlier in the thread). Sound as a pound so it's staying on! Nice light bike - will be a regular user.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg

Last edited:
Back