Orange 5 -> 3x10 to 1x12....How easy?

I've converted 4 of my 26ers to 1 X 10 speed ( a 2009 5, a 2005 Sub3, a '99 Stumpy M2 and an On One Summer Season) using the biggest cog available at the time (46t). From your pictures your going to need a replacement chain and mech any way.
I've had no probs with chains dropping and chain suck is now forgotten.
The only "risk" is that the rear mechs seem nearer to the ground than I would like. Off to watch the footie now.

Thanks for all the replies on this.

All helpful info there.

Think going 1 x 11 is the way forward for me.
Changing a perfectly good freewheel for narrow splines doesn't seem worth it for an extra gear.
My thinking behind upgrading the current set up is that I spend most of the time in the middle ring....Cannock might be the only time I drop to the bottom front chainring...but I'm soon switching up to the middle after the climbs .
Simplify the set up would suit me better.

As Ed mentions....suspension set ups have moved on massively since I purchased this new back in 2011. At the time this received great reviews and I was sold.
Mine needs a good service but has so far been reliable.....But, suppose the thought is there that rather that outlay on upgrades, why not move on another decade? Especially seeing as this is my modern rider.
Thing is though...kids,family and all that, I don't ride as often as I used to. Upgrading the current rather than new purchase seems to make more sense at the moment....the type of riding I'm doing, the Five is more than capable.....Plus there's also retro to be ridden!

Found good prices on the M6100 - looks like that could well be the chosen route. As mentioned though, availability could be my problem here...
I'll update here with the outcome.

Thanks again for all the advice.

boy"O"boy

Back