Onza Disc brake converter

Ahh sorry yeah you're right. Save a search on fleabay, they come up from time to time.

On one of my bikes a 1999 fsr comp, I have used an A2Z adapter but added my own brace bar using a couple of rose joints and a bit of aluminium bar and it works a treat. In fact it's pictured here on retrobike somewhere....yeah see below, page 67 of the 'Show us yer fsr's page'

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=146268&start=660

Regards, Jamie

no worries mate, I'll keep an eye out, or possibly hack at the A2Z. In fact thats what I'll probably end up doing. Think I might do a shock & fork change at the same time, get it all over and done with in one go...

Cheers
Jamie (too!)

Just had a look at your mods Jamie, they look spot on mate, that's what I'll be doing. One query though, with the adapter fitted, what is the process of rr wheel removal?

Hi rear wheel removal is not as straight forward as it would be on a 'normal' bike but then again I rarely take my wheel off. If I puncture- I repair with a patch by pulling the tube out with the wheel in place usually and my bike <just> fits in my car by just removing the front wheel.

From what I recall to get the wheel off I remove the bottom caliper bolt (as it also secures the bottom rose joint) and then I back off (not remove) the A2Z bolts to allow it to rotate on the dropout and get its' slot aligned with the non-vertical dropout of the fsr.

If you had the Onza adapter you'd probably still have to do the same or similar because it is also not designed for angled dropouts.

I have used an Onza adapter and its a nicely engineered thing but it's not fitted to one of my bikes but on a Zaskar I recently restored and built up for my little sis.

Edit- to properly fit the Onza adapter you also need to drill and tap a thread into the dropout to allow it to be screwed on otherwise it'll fall off when you do remove your wheel. Not a big issue, but drilling the dropout is 'scary' and could potentially go wrong. Also to tap the thread you obviously need the right tap and tap wrench which not everybody has. It also requires the use of a longer skewer which does come with the Onza kit but should it fail you'd need to source a new skewer.

Jamie :D

Attachments

• Jo_s Zaskar.jpg
    Jo_s Zaskar.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 568
Back