One bike only.

Thought about it and when I was younger only had one. But, I'm luckily able to buy almost what I wanted when I was a youth so think why not? I've the space and do ride them all. It's a hard one for me as I love my retrobikes but couldn't take an 84 s&g over a 20ft jump in the Alps safely haha

I reckon when I'm much older I could get away with just riding the pace but.......doubt it, love bikes too much, they're ace, all of them:)

legrandefromage":22uqf14g said:
No. It's impossible.

+1

Just did a quick count in my head. The 7 in the house definitely aren't going anywhere. There's another 11 in the garage on the same list. The rest I could part with.

i pretty sure i have 4 bikes worth of bits. but only 1 built.....so technically i only have 1 bike. which is what i tell the wife.

Re:

Well i only had one bike earlier on this year and tbh i wasn't happy well 1st of all because it wasn't working a 100% but secondly because it wasn't retro but now i've got 2 retro bikes and the other none retro is just a frameset now which i now need to get rid of but even though the ride of it didn't inspire me at all i can't bear the thought of parting with it :facepalm: so i guess that will end up in the loft .

I use to have just a Bergamont hybrid from 98 till 2012 which i used every now and then ..

Re:

I can be done but you will be miserable :)

I have mine down to 2, and that suits me.

A Marin Eldridge Zolatone/Flouro :cool:

And a Giant Talon 1 2015 :oops: :oops:

But... but... What will you do if your bike is red and your new t-shirt is red, too? I mean - erm- a different shade of red... You will not be able to sit on your single bike! OF COURSE a fashonable man need several bikes! To match the colour of every one of you t-shirts at least :LOL:

Re:

Thanks for proposing this topic. This is something that bothers me lately as I'm taking a minimalist approach to everything in life, bikes included.

I'm on a slow but gratifying path to reduce my number of bikes. Not sure if I'll ever reach the "one only", but for sure it feels already better to have less. Once in another forum a guy had as profile signature "Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly", and that was too true for me to forget.

At a certain point I was above 10 bikes, but I am currently on 7, with one currently on sale and another one on the bikestand getting the final fixes before putting it on sale too. Another one will be taken to my parent's place, so I have a bike when I visit.

From the 4 remaining, one was given to me, a 40 year-old folding bike from the in-laws which I only use once a month when we visit them, because folding bikes are free on the train. Otherwise I would happily give it away anytime, it's heavy as hell and uncomfortable after 5 km.

I use my bike not only as a leisure tool but also as main means of transport, so I would need at least 2 bikes so if one breaks down (or just have a puncture and I don't have the time to fix for next day) I have a replacement. So on my paring down I think I will stop at 3:
-my touring bike, which is also my daily transport
-a relatively new mtb, which is purely for leisure/weekend rides
-my first mtb, which acts as back-up for the previous two, plus it has huge sentimental value

Whenever I get to just these 3, hopefully by next summer, I will pause for a while and then re-think. I believe I could just do with one, the old mtb that can perform decently as commuter, tourer, or mtb with minor tweaks, so I might go for that as next step. I can always take the train whenever the bike breaks.

For everybody else, I know we say "what is wrong with my X bikes?" or "why not if I can afford it?, etc. It's all fine and good, I'm only saying it's also good, from time to time, to self-question (not only on bikes, also on t-shirts or beer glasses) how much is enough and where the fun stops.

For me, these questions helped:
-Do I start to have storage problems? Problems to find a place for all the bikes, or to find a certain piece, or to get a bike at the back of the pile... Or even friends come to visit with their bikes and I have no place to park them.
-Am I starting to get economic problems because of it? To pay for all the bikes, the gear, the maintenance,...
-Am I starting to have issues to keep all bikes in top mechanical condition? That was the deal killer for me, I noticed more and more bikes were falling into the backlog, and sometimes doing mechanics was becoming more of a chore than fun
-Am I getting into discussions with my partner about the bikes? Of course, this also depends on the partner, some are quite ok with 20 bikes in the garage and others start shouting after the second bike...
-Do I have bikes that have remained for a long time unused? Do I have a lot of "projects" unfinished?
-Do I waste time looking online for "deals" or parts rather than doing productive stuff, or just riding?
-If I ever have to move, would my bike hobby become a burden?

I'm also paring down my "spares/parts bin", plenty of things there I know I'll never use that I either sell or donate to the local university bike workshop.

The closest I've ever got is just 2 bikes. One garage queen that will never see the light of day and secondly my old bear valley se that is used everyday and I can pretty much leave it anywhere without the tea leaves going after it due to it not being "flashy"

So for me 2 is the bare minimum.

As to parts/bits and the "just in case" items :D I have now unloaded all of those with the exception of parts relevant to those 2 bikes and nothing more. This allows me to concentrate on what I have rather than lose track with several projects I know I will not finish.

Back