On One Vandal (Titanium) bargain

Madmax1993

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I've been wanting to upgrade my 29er hardtail to a titanium frame for a while now, and had a few options in mind including the new Sonder Signal Ti and the On One Vandal. Planet X had a rather good sale on this month, selling the vandal frame for just £499, less than half the price it normally sells for. Unlike other sales where only one extreme size is available, this was available in all sizes, so I bit the bullet and ordered the Large. I intend to use most parts from my existing hardtail, so should be a straightforward build.
I'll post some pictures and update the build when it arrives.

IMG_20220402_124019.jpg
The frame arrived yesterday, even though I didn't pay the extra for Saturday delivery, and I have to say, titanium looks even better in the flesh than in photos. I love the raw look, and I'll probably get some protective frame stickers, I quite like the Viking themed ones Mucky Nutz do (see below)

Screenshot_20220403-100532.jpg

Alternatively I also quite like the idea of paying homage to the 'bare metal' aesthetic of some vintage aircraft, like certain B-17s and DC3s, which would involve some kind of pinup girl nose art for a headtube badge.

Ooooooo, that's nice..... Are they still on sale? I'm off for a look.
I had a look on the 1st of April, out of self torture (if it was further reduced) or much smugness (if it went back up) and just felt much relief as it's disappeared from the website. I assume they cleared all stock by the end of march.

I intend to use the 120mm travel Reba's off my old hardtail, and hope for the best seeing as the built versions Planet X sold came with 130mm forks. I don't want to over-spec this as I have a dream build full suss trail bike for more technical days, so this is intended for big(ger) distance XC days.

I wish I could pull off an epic tease of a build like Velofrog does, but I just kind of throw everything together in a fit of impatience.
I was forced to wait on a headset arriving from Chain Reaction (Hermes rebranding as Evri has had no effect on their appalling service, but that's a long story in its own right) so I put the back end together pending the arrival.
IMG_20220408_155225.jpg
IMG_20220408_155242.jpg

Received the headset, and have thrown everything together.

IMG_20220408_182557.jpg
IMG_20220408_182603.jpg

I'll get a dropper post on as soon as I sell my 31.6mm one, I'm being strict with myself regarding funds in and out.

The steerer is a bit short from the donor bike, leaving me no room for spacers and the brake levers hit the frame when I turn the bars to the extreme, so I'll need to fit a higher rise bar, or swap the fork, which would benefit from being a 130mm travel, beefier stanchion type now that I see the Rebas fitted to the new frame.

I'm also going to fit a shorter stem, as this frame is much longer and slacker than my last, and it doesn't feel right with the 50mm Race Face stem.

Turns out I had a 35mm stem on another bike, so I tried that on the Vandal, and it has sorted out the handling, it feels much better.

Back