On One Vandal (Titanium) bargain

Yeah, getting a new steerer would cost nearly half as much as I could get a second hand fork for, and another fork is on the cards anyway due to the slender 32mm chassis of the 2018 Rebas and the fact that they are 120mm travel when the frame is meant for 130mm. That said, I'll give it a go as it is and see how it feels, because the stem has really transformed the steering and the BB might not be too low with the 10mm difference in travel being so small.

Looks great.
Quick note on cable/hose routing... I'd have run the gear cable and rear brake hose around the other side of the headtube... You can get a much neater looking finish doing this and you don't get the cables rubbing on the lower headset cup as much, or at all. Looks like you've got enough length to play with 🙊
You've just got to cross them under the downtube at some point.

Looks great.
Quick note on cable/hose routing... I'd have run the gear cable and rear brake hose around the other side of the headtube... You can get a much neater looking finish doing this and you don't get the cables rubbing on the lower headset cup as much, or at all. Looks like you've got enough length to play with 🙊
You've just got to cross them under the downtube at some point.
I've seen/used crossed cables under the doentube, but not when they're full length outer/hose. That sounds like they're asking to stick out from the frame if I do that?

I'd sell the rebas and get some yaris for 300 quid on sale at crc or similar second hand. Depends on budget of course

If you need a lower stack, the dmr stem is only 25mm I think and comes in short lengths too

Looks good built 👌

IMG_20220707_100947.jpg
So I've decided on a 130mm travel fork with 34mm stanchions from one of my favourite brands back in the day. As a nod to the various MX Comp forks I've owned over the years, and the fact that they are decent value, being part of the Fox brand, but without the Fox price tag.

Believe it or not, this is the first ever brand new fork I've ever owned, so I've treated it and myself to some fancy(ish) tools to cut the steerer down properly.

IMG_20220713_135442.jpg
Once the pipe cutter arrives I can cut the steerer (not too short mind) and finish it off.

I have these on my occam. Just fyi, they seem to get mixed reviews because the bushings in them (lower legs) are fixed so if they go, they can't be replaced and its new lowers. Some early batches had issues with them so were warranty replaced. I'm 2 years in, faultless, and I think they are great, as good as my 34s I have on another bike. They'll go well with the frame.

The other thing I did, was get some custom graphics made by Indiprint. Bare metal frames have always reminded me of polished Aluminium aircraft, so I asked for a US air corps design, and boy, did Lucy at Indiprint deliver.

Here's a teaser, with full photos to follow once the fork is correctly fitted.

IMG-20220628-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20220628-WA0003.jpeg

Back