On-One Inbred 29'er Singlespeed (updated 18/06).

Re:

All finished and has already been ridden, all I can say is that singlespeeding off-road isn't as easy as it looks! :shock: running a 32-18 setup at the moment, which should be ok I think once my legs have got used to it :LOL:

Not much to shout about parts wise, Deore disc brakes do the stopping(no difference in performance with the SLX brakes on my other bike :) ), and I guess the "retro" parts would be the 26" wheels with Ritchey Z-Max Evolution tyres and the square taper chainset... Oh... and the lack of suspension :LOL:

Re: On-One Inbred SS

I tried SS and found that similar gearing was just too much hard work. My brother now rides a lot of SS in the same areas but has (I think at least) settled on 30:20 gearing. Just makes the hills so much more doable.

Nice bike by the way. I'd tidy the cables up but otherwise that's a lovely simple bike. Not sure what the z max are like but my ones from bitd were horrendous!!

Re:

Yeah I may try a 20T rear sprocket, but I'll steer clear of the big hills until my fitness improves, 7 miles and 900feet of climbing on it yesterday, I was feeling the burn in my legs after the first mile! :LOL:
The Ritchey tyres are not great, skinny and skittish/slippery on wet rocks as and roots, I'll try dropping the pressure a bit but ultimately I think some better and wider tyres would improve things.

Yeah get some bigger tyres on and drop the gearing to something you like. Spinning is fun anyway.

I know on one are marmite but these all white framesets are iconic

Good work

Nice clean build!

The first 6 weeks are awful! However after that you will be fitter, stronger, tougher and (surprisingly) corner harder. It's amazing what hills you can climb when the only alternative is walking.
7 years on form building one, a rigid singlespeed remains my bike of choice!

Re:

So, still using 32:18 gearing and getting used to it, actually seem quicker up some hills as I don't have an easier gear to change into :LOL:

Anyway, picked up some cheap 26x2.1 tyres from the On-One website and they are an improvement, bit bouncier (ie comfier), and grippier.
I've got a 29" front wheel on the way, will give the 69'er thing a try I think....

But for now...

Re:

Hmm.... Tried the "69'er" thing today, apart from the odd looks (and the strange looks you get from other people) I couldn't fault it.
Front wheel did seem to smooth things out a bit, although the 29x2.4 tyre might have helped with that too.
Couldn't find anything bad to say about it.
I'm interested to try a 29'er bike now...

Re: Re:

jimo746":2tr3d68e said:
Couldn't find anything bad to say about it.

Thats only cos you don't see the mismatched wheels when you're on it Jim :LOL: I think the white wall tyres exaggerate the smaller rear.
Then again, as long as it rides well it doesn't matter. I had one of the old sliding dropout frames and clearance was pretty good. Any way to fit a fatter rear?
Were you able to use the original forks? If so, how's the clearance?

Back