Old Orange P7

I 'think' I've still got the wheels in the shed, but if it's the ones I think they are, the rims are probably beyond saving.

I'm pretty sure I've got the seat post and 'original' saddle too. Though I do know that it was pretty wrecked last time I saw it. Got a box of old bits in the garage too, so I'll have to start having a look.

As for the jockey wheels, they do look a bit like throwing stars now.

Pleased I found this site though, it's inspired me to not sell and to get this back on the road.

Gutted though. Just pulled one of the brake levers today as I went past it, and because they're not connected to anything it pulled all they way through and snapped the plastic housing on the shifter.

Looks like a 95 or 96 model. With a bit of a clean up and service I'm sure it'll make for a great bike again.

Certainly one I'd like to have in my collection.

Agree despite the frame date, it probably went on sale towards end of '95 or maybe first half of '96. I believe the black logos/text relate to this period, where as the earliest ones probably had the purple text stickers.

Without wishing to upset the apple cart, I'd be surprised if it was that late. but I guess you can't argue with facts and I might just be remembering it wrong. I thought originally it would be early 90's as I bought I when I had my first job after college in '97. The guy I bought it from had already bought it from someone else. I thought the second guy (a mate of mine) had it a couple of years, but I may well be wrong.

Might see if he can shed more light.

Indeed. It was made '94 but would have been waiting to be built up and stickered according to supply/demand. Stickers suggest on sale 95/96. Mine is also a 94, but I think was on sale 94/95.

sylus":3tq9dblh said:
the frame numbers rarely lie :D

I wasn't trying to suggest the frame was wrong, only that I'd be surprised (as indeed I am) to learn that it could have been built as late as 96.

I'm not an expert on the history, so I was surprised to learn that they were only built from 94 onwards. As I say, in my head I thought they were much earlier - due to the fact that I got hold of it in 97 and it was third hand then.

I do know my mate had it for almost two years (sold it to me when he bought a Pro-Flex), so I guess it would depend on how late in 97 I got it and how long the original owner had it.

It's good to learn these things though as I don't ever remember seein any with the purple stickers.

raymondluxuryyacht":3dp0jwx0 said:
Agree despite the frame date, it probably went on sale towards end of '95 or maybe first half of '96. I believe the black logos/text relate to this period, where as the earliest ones probably had the purple text stickers.

My experience is different.

I bought my nickel P7 new in 1994 (I have the receipt) and it was stickered exactly as Kell's, with the exception that my F7 forks (which I later snapped) had no decals. Even came with the same purple bottle cage bolts. Mine had the "old logo" hot rod bars.

My dad later bought a '95 nickel P7 (he still has this) and i's sure that has purple stickers in the same style.

My bike was ordered at a discount with '93 LX (Orange had some surplus 93 non compact groupsets) but when it showed up it had '94 compact with an stx front mech downgrade for the same price.

Kell - what size is yours? and would you sell it....?

Back