"Old Goat" Ride, Chico, California

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
Some of you may know that I was a rock band roadie for 42 years, all for the same band, The Sons of Champlin. I quit in 2010 because I decided against a career in that gig.

My old mates had a performance scheduled in Chico, California, perhaps a four hour drive from my home. I figured I could ride both ways with them, and do a promotional event for my book, Fat Tire Flyer: Repack and the Birth of Mountain Biking..

Part of the attraction of Chico, aside from great riding country, is that it is the home of a Mr. William Jeff Lindsay, who in 1980 became about the third frame builder in the world to embrace the new design. He called his product "Mountain Goat." These bikes are super collectible, and not particularly rare, especially in Chico, because Jeff got into the game early.

With the Sons' road manager doing my advance work, I hooked up with Steve O'Bryan, owner of Pullins Cyclery, as the host and ride organizer. Steve is only the second owner of a shop that opened in 1918! When I suggested the title "Old Goat Ride," he jumped on it and it was on the Internet in ten minutes. Mike also set me up with a radio interview with a wonderful host named Nancy Wiegman, on her program "Nancy's Bookshelf." If you want to actually hear my thin, reedy voice, you can check out the podcast.

Accordingly, on May tenth, 50-60 people turned out, with a collection of vintage mountain bikes that could not be assembled in the UK. On hand was Jeff Lindsay's friend Joe, proud original owner of Mountain Goat #1. I was loaned a Teesdale Fisher Comp, and of course I wore my jersey from the Repack Bicycle Clothing company. Other bikes on hand included Fisher, Ritchey, Breezer, Salsa, Ibis, ProCruiser, Kona, StumpJumper, and of course the obligatory '30s Schwinn.

After the ride I sold and signed some 40+ copies of my book, which was every one that I had with me. Steve O'Bryan did not run out of beer, which may be the first time in mountain bike history that has happened.

In 1977 I had worked at a Fleetwood Mac/Sons of Champlin concert in Chico on the athletic field of the local University. Several older types had to tell me what a great show they had seen so long ago!

More photos in following posts.

Attachments

• chico02b.jpg
    chico02b.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 499
  • chico02a.jpg
    chico02a.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 499
  • chico02.jpg
    chico02.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 499
  • chico01.jpg
    chico01.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 499
More photos from the ride

Attachments

• chico06a.jpg
    chico06a.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 495
  • chico06.jpg
    chico06.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 495
  • chico05.jpg
    chico05.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 495
  • chico07.jpg
    chico07.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 495
More photos

Attachments

• chico08.jpg
    chico08.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 492
  • chico09.jpg
    chico09.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 492
  • chico10.jpg
    chico10.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 492
  • chico11.jpg
    chico11.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 492
Repack Rider":2ocifeeb said:
...Steve O'Bryan did not run out of beer, which may be the first time in mountain bike history that has happened.

:LOL:

Looks like a real godd collection of old and new, bikes and folks that is. Thanks for posting :)

Back