1996 Voodoo Bizango

rouge_prawn

Specialized Fan
Hey people!

I've been collecting all the necessary parts for this build but in the end I'm not sure I'm going to finish it... I've found another bike that I find a bit more interesting for now. I'm not convinced yet and because I have neither space nor unlimited funds, I would like to know what my bike is worth first.

It's a 1996 Voodoo Bizango, built in Tange Prestige Ultimate Superlight steel. As far as I have been able to research and mentioning our friend @konaman1:

“I'd wanted one ever since finding out about the original VooDoo's excellent pedigree mostly from Anthony's posts. These were made in Chico, California in the Mountain Goat factory by Jeff Lindsay at the same time he was welding up the Hots and Ku's for Kona. VooDoo was Joe Murrays brainchild and his next move after leaving Kona. So essentially this was Joes design progression whereas Kona stuck with the '94 design for years after Joe left. Built from Tange Ultimate Superlight tubing and having really neat details like the snake stays, recessed head tube and super cool Ritchey hooded drop outs the Bizango was the top steel frame in the range.”

Fork: Kona P2 850ish grams (mid90s)
Headset: Hope threadless 1 1/8 silver (mid-late90s)
Seatclamp: Hope silver (modern)

Attachments

• AE41EE64-7673-4313-A88B-AE5617699854.jpeg
    AE41EE64-7673-4313-A88B-AE5617699854.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 107
Nice frames, though not as desirable as the quality would suggest.

For the frame i would say you are looking at £250+ assuming it is original and not damaged.

My for sale post way back in 2015 for reference.

I got full asking price plus postage on top. I should have kept it and I really wish I'd kept the bike behind it! GLWS

As the durability of the paint lacquer and original decals seem to be not very good, at least from the Wanga I had a while ago and a couple of other Voodoo bikes from that years I have seen, the condition could have quite influence at the achievable price.

At least the right chain stay doesn't look good, to me this frame is something for having fun in the woods without careing too much, or doing a full rework including new paint work and decals. Both are typically not the typical pattern for getting a lot of money for the frame.

The frame is in good condition with no dents or major scratches. The paint shows its 26 years of use but considering its age, it's pretty decent and the decals are fine... I must admit that the chainstay is not in the best condition. Overall I think the paint needs a light polishing to bring back the brightness.

Thanks for the suggestions! Offers are welcome ;-)

@Imlach that feels pretty low for a US-made frame with super-lightweight Tange tubing... Also considering its context!

I'm no expert, but with quick internet searches other Konas or similar bikes/frames are more along the lines of @mk one

Thanks anyways!

@Imlach that feels pretty low for a US-made frame with super-lightweight Tange tubing... Also considering its context!

I'm no expert, but with quick internet searches other Konas or similar bikes/frames are more along the lines of @mk one

Thanks anyways!
Only evaulated the way I did because most other Bizango frames I've seen going in the 200-300 range seemed to come with extra bits and seemed more mint, not as scuffy. But yes, nice tubeset. When you say US made, doesn't that just mean that they were assembled and painted in the US? Quite sure they're made in Taiwan, not US.

If we were to evaluate with headset and p2 I'd probably say 230 or 250

Last edited:
I’m sorry to disagree with you. If you have a chance, please do a bit of research on @Anthony and @konaman1 posts, they are legends and very well informed.

Just briefly (perhaps Ernie won't mind), VooDoo started in 1995 and initially all the steel and aluminium models were built and assembled by Altitude. The titanium D'Jab frames though were built by A-Pro in Taiwan, as I assume that Altitude didn't have the required facilities (Mountain Goat had never offered a titanium model). In 1997 VooDoo added the steel Erzulie, aluminium Bantu and full-suspension Zobop to the range, all built in Taiwan. The Bizango, Wanga, Bokor, Hoodoo and Canzo were built by Altitude until c1999, when Altitude went out of business, and VooDoo temporarily went out of business. When VooDoo returned to the market in c2001, all the frames were built by A-Pro.

I’m pretty sure it was built in the US!

I agree with @Imlach its around the 150-200 mark unless you find someone who must just own it whatever the cost as they’ve been after one for years.

If It was something I’d purchased as a parts donor for example I’d likely put it on here at £150 or slightly more on eBay.

Needs a little work , niche brand due to Voodoo being what they are now , and once you got past £250-300 for a frame you open a world of possibilities in different materials and brands. Some great frames simply are just not that desirable to many and some terrible frames seem to fetch fortunes as they are the thing to own.

Voodoo I see as a brand much like Saracen. They built some nice frames in steel for a short period but then became what they are which hurts the values.

Back