Can 7sp XT SL-M732 Thumbies shift 8 gears?

Crumbs I can't actually remember ...spent a lot of time a few years back modifying 8 speed blocks for 6 speed and 7 speed indexing..there was definitely a difference in cog thickness but I don't think it was as big as .1 per cog! With out going to measure I thought it was something like 2.39 thickness for 7 and 2.34 for 8.
I did find that replacing the plastic spacers with alloy did help in chasing out the tiny descrepancy at the top and bottom of block when shifting.

I think the difference between the sprocket thickness is 0.05 mm (ignoring IG) and the remaining 0.15 mm is the narrower spacing.

I think the difference between the sprocket thickness is 0.05 mm (ignoring IG) and the remaining 0.15 mm is the narrower spacing.
Jeez at one point I could pick up any sprocket or cog and just know .... My brain really does have a talent for forgetting stuff!
There is definitely a variation and it can be made to work ..8 ..with a 7 speed shifter but there is definitely a chase...a compromise to be made wether it gets a bit vague with the index either low or high. With a fresh taught derailleur and a new shifter I remember it's worse...old and baggy it's a lot better! I think going by peachy's builds he'll be leaning towards an 8 speed shifter!

I index my thumbies to the biggest 7 cogs on my 8 speed cassette. I don't miss the 11t cog and I avoid running experiments. This way I replicate the 7 speed 13-34 HG50 cassette now sadly discontinued.

Good to know many have done it, and run it with little to no problem.

I think it's on the cards for the camping bike...

someone gave me the idea recently to Dremel a new hole on the interior plate inside the shifter, thus allowing for that extra click. As for Suntour, i got the xc pro 8sp shifters (which are lovely, especially the ratcheting front derailleur side) I think I read on here or somewhere, a guide for modifying spacing between cogs on the cassette to improve shifting

In theory you can drill an extra dent...but it doesn't solve the spacing issues...although you could rebuild an 8 speed cassette with 7 speed spacers ( remembering the bottom 2 are not the same as the top ones on 7 speed)!

No, the world will implode!!!!!!!

Just kidding, yeah it’ll be fine, done it for years

Ran 200gs thumbs on 10 speed with friction for a period of time also 👌

Back