Getting shifty: 8 or 9 speed old bike options?

doctor-bond

Feature Bike
So, can I have my cake and eat it? I want a nice shifting full range freewheel for a 130mm 80s MTB.

08410C79-41F0-406D-8C0F-558E2B80B74C.jpeg

I’ve been (manfully) running my Specialized on a 6 speed freewheel with suntour thumbies. It’s my do it all bike (definitely not a gravel bike though....), has a 130mm rear end and a nice set of RM20s laced to XC Hubs.

I’d like to keep the wheels but have to admit to having a hankering for, er, slicker shifting. My baseline for slick shifting is XT 9 speed with dura ace or microshift shifters.

Options seem to be Sunrace, Shimano TZ500 (7 speed) or generic ‘Shimano’ clones.

Anyone know if it is possible to crack these or other freewheels and build them up with nicer sprockets, maybe pinched from cassettes?

Last edited:
The new Shimano ones shift nicely

You'll need to respace the hub and dish the wheel for 7 speed as it's wider

Or you could just stick a 135mm hub in there for a world of possibility.

It's only 2.5mm each side, I've done it loads of times on steel frames. No need to cold set

The faffing with hub spacing and dishing is a good point: especially going to 9 speed. And while I agree that spreading the frame a tad for 135 isn’t a biggie, it is a pain when getting the wheel in and out.

So I’m leaning towards new wheels: a 130mm road hub with a 9 speed cassette. Can I put an XT M770 cassette on a 130mm shimano compatible road hub?

(Also noticing the alarming lack of new 26 rims!)

Personally I think Shimano 9-speed is too tetchy, and would go 8-speed every time. 9 speed seems far more sensitive to dirty or worn cable outers and seems to need readjustment too often for my taste.
I run 7s on my tourer as it's bombproof and rarely needs adjustment. 7s also requires less dish in the rear wheel making it stronger. I'd go with a 7s freewheel and a thumbie.

Interesting on the difference in reliability between speeds: I’m drawn to 9 speed because I have it on my Randonneur and it works well, and its easy to get cassettes with 30 plus rear cogs (useful for lugging the shopping back up the hill!) wouldn’t rule out 7 or 8 speed; will have a look at cassette range and availability.

For 26" rims try Spa Cycles - a fair amount of choice, especially Exal (which used to be Rigida I think) - the Sputnik is the go-to rim for touring.

Spooky : just been trawling Spa for rims! You‘re right Hamster, they have a good bunch of 26”ers (just don’t use the 26” filter).
Lots of choice from Ryde, Exal (used to be Alex according to the blurb), and Kinlin.

Back