Obree

Let's look at the facts in the cold light of day. Cycling Weekly contacted haines 'some hours' after the auction had ended and no contact from the 'buyer'. If you just paid 10k for a bike you'd be right in there as soon as the auction ended to confirm pick up.

The probable truth here is that either someone maliciously bid it to disappoint Haines (by the sounds of things he's made more enemies than friends) or its a classic shill bid, in the hope of palming it off to the second bidder for much more than its worth. This is a moral story about one man trying to exert control over another even after 20 years.

It's not the real thing. Obree didn't like it. Simple as. And broke the record on the authentic machine. Haines is a bitter man and to drag all this up in the press again is sickening. I know Graeme and he is still not out of the woods vis a vis his illness.

If this ever surfaces again I would think a campaign to ridicule it and it's Seller would be the likely outcome. To dredge up a lot of old history and lay it in wide public view, especially given that Graeme has just retired (a very vulnerable time in any athletes career) is contemptible behaviour.

I'm pretty certain this bike hasn't sold, Haines doesn't deserve to make a penny out of it given his frankly disgusting behaviour in the national and cycling press.

Graeme has nothing to reproach himself for here. But Vic Haines, you should hang your head in shame.

Back