Night-ride Night now the 29th

A nice starry starry night down Peebles way and a special surprise appearance swelled the the macretro massive to 4.

RobMac":22msj30o said:
Who! Who! :shock:

He certainly had plenty of lights! Think of a cross between:

Christmas-bike.jpg

and:

close-encounters-of-the-third-kind9-560x315.jpg

Good night last night - Bitterly cold in the wind, with clear starry skies, Milky Way visible (as was the Little Bear apparently).

Velo, master of the bodge surpassed himself with the "plank o' Lumens (tm)" - a massive LED torch strapped to some wood strapped to his top tube - ridiculously effective and turned out to be more reliable than half the Chinese lanterns on the ride. I think Gmac ended up with one working light - and the one he loaned Velo didn't last very long either, although that might have been my dodgy battery pack.

The 3 of us started at the Red Squirrel, and made our way up to the top car park, where we were accosted by the cycling searchlight from Fife himself. OCP! After he nipped back to the car to stuff some more spare lights into his ruck sack (just in case), we were off!

Had a run down Berm Baby Berm, then back up once more, intending to carry on up towards Spooky, although OCP couldn't help himself and went down BBB once again :)

We skipped Pennels Vennel and hauled up the fire-road to the bench at the bottom of the Spooky Woods climb, for a spot of star-gazing and strained necks. We skipped Spooky itself, carrying on over to the start of Betty Blue / Super G. Velo decided to give Betty a ride (phwoar), while the rest of us headed down the braking bumped strewn Super G. We met up at the bottom then followed the rest of the blue all the way down to red squirrel.

A good time was had by all, even Velo who's not the biggest fan of the night-ride. Certainly not as fast as riding in the day, but probably more exciting since you are having to react a lot faster to the trail because you're not seeing things until much later.

Yep, it was a good night in the wids. Apart from the failed attempt to lose me by hiding further up the trail so that I went down BBB again on my ownski. ;)
As ZZ said I had plenty of lights as spares for me or others, but the light that went out after one run down Berm Baby Berm was a new replacement battery I'd bought, that had only had one run round Blairadam then a charge.
Gonnae have tae wash ma car tae, it's now broon, ye'd think I'd been driving through the wids wae it.

nice write ups, ZZ the working light was on your battery. I've now got two dud batteries, 2 knackered chargers & two working lights :facepalm:

a few pic's

no chance of knocking velo down in the carpark

DSCN1607 by gmac123, on Flickr

old coyote prowler in the dark

. by gmac123, on Flickr

a new constellation called the zigzag

. by gmac123, on Flickr

Take it those are the pics from first time down BBB, if so you can see that my bar light is out before I got to bottom.
Brand new battery, just one 2hr night ride then re-charge. It's the same fault as the one I bought it to replace. Plug it in to charger then to light and light comes on then a few seconds later goes out, and repeat. Put it properly on charge and it only charges for a few minutes before the green light says it's supposed to be charged but it's not. :roll: Think I need to invest in a decent battery pack.

Do you have another working charger? If not I've got 4 at the mo and another 2 coming with the lights I've ordered, so you can have one if you need it. I think I could manage with 5 chargers for 6 lights. :cool:

yeah that would be first time down

That would be great OCP, although I'm a bit of feart these things, twice bitten and all that. I'll drop you a pm

Back