Nigel Dean 531 MTB

Considering parting with my mid-eighties Nigel Dean MTB. I know I'll not find another one like it... 20" frame, lovely slack angles - I had it set up as a rugged randonneur until recently, hence the guards and rack. Would make a lovely klunker type build, pub/commuter or even benefit from a full 26" tourer build. Not stickered but I believe this to be 531 - the only similar Deans I have seen have been 531 (this was before the mountain bike specific tubesets). This may have been a custom order as I've not been able to find reference to three colour fade paintjobs in catalogue materials or photos online. I appreciate Nigel Deans are not the most sought after bikes on eBay etc - but this is not your usual mid-range road bike. Oh - the muddy Deore wheelset will not be included in any eventual sale! Really just looking to gauge potential interest in the frameset.

Thanks
image_50743553.JPG image_67198977.JPG image_67235073.JPG image_67514369.JPG image_67534081.JPG

Now you're posting this after I'm deeply invested into Francine, financially and emotianally :mad:

What's the effective top tube length if you don't mind me asking?

26" wheels?

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. Yes, takes 26” wheels. It’s 22 1/2 inches centre to centre level top tube. Here it is in rando form. Loads of clearance for big tyres though. Slap some wide bars on it and this thing would be great off road. The indestructible 40 spoke tandem spec Mavic Oxygen original wheels proved to be not so indestructible - the rear rim failed, prompting me to dismantle the bike. With sufficient interest I could include the original SR chainset and period correct Suntour thumb shifters. F76E3950-1D33-46BE-B5CC-ADFC52000D0C.jpeg

My size as well!
A few weeks too late for me - I think I'll see my current build through first - hopefully, won't need anything after it's done, but I'll definitely keep an eye on the sales section.

Now you're posting this after I'm deeply invested into Francine, financially and emotianally :mad:

What's the effective top tube length if you don't mind me asking?

26" wheels?

Tis lovely that. Tricolor too boot. Perfect partner for Francine I'd say.

Hi all, sorry to resurrect this thread. I’m considering taking this to the Bristol Bike Jumble tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone was willing to put a price on frame, fork, seatpost and front mech? Not looking to retire on it but also not keen to flog it for chips as I know I’ll probably instantly regret it.

I've managed to pick up an mtb frame in the right size for myself for the next year's build, so will withdraw my interest (unless you are desperate to get it out of your house, in which case please post it to me - I'll adopt it 😆 )

Sorry I can’t help with the price. In respect of the colours - wasn’t it the case you could order your Nigel Dean through the bike shop and get it in any custom colours? I remember in the town I lived in there was a bike shop selling these and the USP was you could it painted however you liked or something to that effect.

Latest posts

Back