Newbie with an old Klein Attitude Comp

Noooo, hopefully the little white frame liner guides will be in good condition, we mean the metal cable itself as the inner cable, and the black guides from the brake levers/shifters to the frame as the outer cables!

If you can get away without having to mess with the internal cable guides then do so, they will be a royal pain in the **** to get back in once pulled out lol!

And for old cable removal/new cable fitment, invest in a good pair of proper cable cutters, and cut your old cables cleanly and pull the nicely cut ends back through the frame guides, if the old cables are frayed or split, and you pull those bits back through the guides it will/can damage them and the outer cables inner sheath too, always chop and pull out clean so as to maximise the longevity of your cable guides and outers!

Spudly":1fpxaaj9 said:
Noooo, hopefully the little white frame liner guides will be in good condition, we mean the metal cable itself as the inner cable, and the black guides from the brake levers/shifters to the frame as the outer cables!

If you can get away without having to mess with the internal cable guides then do so, they will be a royal pain in the **** to get back in once pulled out lol!

And for old cable removal/new cable fitment, invest in a good pair of proper cable cutters, and cut your old cables cleanly and pull the nicely cut ends back through the frame guides, if the old cables are frayed or split, and you pull those bits back through the guides it will/can damage them and the outer cables inner sheath too, always chop and pull out clean so as to maximise the longevity of your cable guides and outers!

Thank the Lord for that!! I have some proper Shimano cable cutters so if its just a case of pull out the actual cables and replace the outers and cables then no problem at all. What do you guys use for lube. I use GT85 for no other reason than I always have.

I use gt85 because it smells amazing, but it isn't really a lube, you want some good quality 3in1 oil for your chain, or as I've now been converted to using, you can get 'dry-lube' looks and smells like pva glue, dribble some round your chain (not enough so it splatters everywhere) then leave it be for a bit and it dries to a light grease and you're done!

But just make sure when removing old cables and fitting new ones, that you don't poke those plastic guide tubes into the frame as its probably very easily done!

Bertiebot":1j4ftd3t said:
The Judy SLs have not been serviced their whole life so I can imagine they aren't performing quite as their maker intended.

They aren't Judy's, they are Indy SL's, easy to tell the difference an the design is so distinctive, anyway the Indy was never a great fork (although it was light) and would surely be worth upgrading.

Carl.

I've not bought or swapped suspension forks before. Other than the steerer being a standard 1 1/8th a headset type what are the critical measurements I need to get right for them to fit?

Update on progress and thanks to sage advice on here.

I have replaced all cables, thoroughly degreased and lubed everything and lordy lordy what a difference. I have also been ebay surfing and generally searching for some decent replacement suspension forks. I very much fancy some SIDs but am struggling to find any with V brake bosses AND the right length steerer. I need 210mm minimum and most are well short of that. In the meantime I have ordered up some eXotic carbon forks that look lovely and will help me shed 50% of the weight of the Indy's whilst I continue my search for some good SIDs. I will stick up a photo once they are fitted.

I love my old bike more by the day (which is a nice surprise)

Needless to say now I have my eXotics arriving tomorrow I have found some SIDs with a 215mm steerer so they are on their way too. Probably need a second frame now. Is this how the compulsive thing starts?

Re:

Haha good on you mate! :cool: Welcome to the slippery slope that is bike hoarding. Before you know it you'll have several projects on the go and a shed full of bikes :LOL: :LOL:

Back