Newbie to Old School BMX

Welcome to the club Mr Mac.

Looking forward to the old skool race scene down at Iford. Count me in when it starts up again.

I dragged the Ripper out of its resting place the other day and realised it needs a lot more work doing to before it see's a track again.

Here comes more wallet punishment ;)

Later
D.

Ahhhh, Mr Mole!!!

Get yourself over to RadBMX.co.uk for Ripper parts! I've "almost" got everything for the Laserlite - just need...........................

...............chain, crank, pedals, heatset, brakes, tyres, tubes, seat, pads.

Actually, there may be some way to go yet!

But seriously, I sourced some really hard to find bit like the seatpost and wheels/hub from there for very good prices. Very helpful chaps indeed!

I'm into it for £700 now! and today's the first day since I won the frame I've not bought anything. Don't tell the wife!

Looking forward to Iford - should be a crack!

Laserlites had Tange TRX forks fitted (in most cases) which can still be found in NOS condition for sensible money! just add the correct stickers & go ;)

the TRX were the slightly ovalled forks
the perfectly round forks were off the KZ1 & are Mega rare & Mega expensive!

Thanks for this.

I got a NOS set of Tange TRX's from Alans BMX recently, and graphics from Del from RadBMX so I'm sorted thanks!

Only a set of Flight cranks and a couple of other bits and bobs and I can start putting it together!

Kuwahara

Hi,

I noticed you're after the ET bike "Kuwahara".

I think I can help you there. I don't have the bike, but I've got a small wicker picnic basket and a stuffed ET doll. If you cut the flaps off the picnic basket and strap it to the front of your bike it would be very realistic, looking just like the film!

Let me know if you're interested. In return I'm looking for a 6 Million Dollar Man action figure with Bionic Eye, which must be in working order.

Right, I've finished the Laserlite! Sorry for the huge post, but I put up a thread on RAD and have just come back to this one. Piccies and spec below:

In the end I wasn't thrilled with the condition of the frame so I had the frame completely restored and rechromed including repairing the damaged drop outs:

From this:

DSC00558.jpg

To this

DSC00634.jpg

And from this:

DSC00557.jpg

To this:

DSC00632.jpg

That set the tone for the build and I decided to build one as close to factory spec in NOS or reconditioned parts as possible. Particular issues were the OGK Cobra Grips, Elina Aero Turbo seat and finding a mint 400
flight crank with the correct bottom bracket and end caps.

Correct sealed bearing Sugino bottom bracket

DSC00655.jpg

Show mounted only 180mm 400 Flight Cranks in mint condition, NOS Sugino chainring, NOS Itzumi chain and mint XCII pedals with NOS cages

DSC00665.jpg

NOS Chrome Araya 7X, NOS Suntour Sealed Bearing hubs built using NOS Chrome Asahi spokes and a NOS Suntour 16t freewheel, all original factory spec. NOS Tange TRX forks.

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

This is the finished bike:

DSC00682.jpg

DSC00687.jpg

Since these pictures have been taken, I've added the chain adjuster to the drive side and got the XCII decals on the pedals.

Final spec ended up as:

Kuwahara Laserlite Frame (show chromed)
Kuwahara Laserbars (show chromed)
Kuwahara Laserpost NOS
Tange TRX Forks NOS
Suntour Powerstem in black NOS
OGK Cobra Grips
DC Tech 3 Lever NOS
DC Brake Cable NOS
DC MX1000 back brake with self centre device
DC Brake Blocks NOS
Elina Aero Turbo Saddle
Suntour Arrow Seat Clamp
Sugino 400 Flight Crank (show bike mounted only)
Sugino Sealed Bottom Bracket
Sugino Chainring bolts
Suntour XCII Pedals (mint bodies, NOS Cages)
Araya 7X 20 x 1.75 Chrome Rims NOS
Suntour Sealed Bearing Hubs NOS
Asahi 194mm Chrome Spokes NOS
Asahi Black Spoke Nipples NOS
Comp 3 Rainbow Label NOS in 2.15/1.75 Fat/Skinny combo
Chain Adjuster NOS
Repro Padset

I had to use low flange hubs to build up the wheelset but I've finally tracked down some NOS high flange ones in red. I'm getting them re-annodised in black with new decals, then built up onto another set of chrome Araya 7X's I've got along with new 184mm Asahi spokes. This means the only thing not original factory spec is the tyres. So if anyone has a NOS or minty set of IRC Racer 80X skinwall tryes, I'm interested.

Hope you like it - it's my first build and it's been a real labour of love. Don't ask how much it cost (I had to remortgage the house for those cranks).

The only problem is that I'm still left without a rider so I'm looking at either a Diamond Back or a Redline to bomb around the local track on!

Kuwahara

Stunning build mate. :cool:
Sit back, pull up a chair and a beer and bask in its glory.
Remember the next ones a rider ;)

Jamie

wow she a beaut :shock:

what was the cost of the re-chrome

top end work and a bloody great job done there :cool: ;)

glad to see the cloth on the rock ;)

cheers B

bring it to the london charity run ;)

Mr Mac that looks the cats nads.

Are your hubs ready for the anodisers? Got a job lot building up here just awaiting your little babies.

Great build dude

D

Back