New wood rims

Nabeaquam

BoTM Winner
I bought a set of wood rims from an Amish wheel Smith. You get the wood ambiance without the hassle. They are more expensive than the Italian wood rims but they have an alloy rim insert. They come without the special extra long nipples and you have to finish them yourself. 08B20FB0-6534-40E5-934D-7B77BE4FB342.jpeg EB71350C-EF4E-4AA0-A12B-34CBEC49B027.jpeg
The joint is hard to find. image.jpg

I let tung oil dry for 4 days and then just put on a coat of marine epoxy. This will have to dry for two days. I scrounged around in my junk stash and found three armless coaster brakes dated from around 1900. One has nice nickel on the hub shell but there is no makers mark on it. The other two also have different makers marks. So three different but the same looking hubs. image.jpg image.jpg They appear to be the same as they look and measure the same on the outside. The nicest hub has a half inch pitch cog, the others are one inch pitch. I would like to rebuild one using the best shell, interior parts and one of the inch pitch cogs. I don’t know if this is possible until I tear into them. image.jpg 844118D3-8844-4A1F-A427-2909D15E77DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Coming along nicely. Looking forward to hearing how the hub rebuild goes
It’s not going so well. The interior parts of the three hubs aren’t interchangeable. Subtle differences to the same design. I’ve rebuilt 2 speed coaster hubs, Bendix single speed coasters, Shimano coasters and these are harder to work on than any of them. I thought the Bendix 2 speeds were difficult but these, so far, have me stumped. There are no service instructions, all I can find is the patent drawing. I’ll keep tinkering, but each time I rebuild one it doesn’t work. Grrrr. My spokes came yesterday.

Latest posts

Back