NEW TI RALEIGH 753 40TH TDF ANNIVERSARY MODEL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

Well... I might be wrong about this, but as far as I can see, there is nothing about building to a specific top tube length, or to a specific fork rake, or both at once, that prevents you from choosing a specific brake drop, and getting the brake drops equal. I mean, they are never perfectly equal, but sufficiently equal that one pair of shoes is not noticeably in a different part of the slots than the other pair? If both pairs are near the bottom of the slots, ok. If both pairs are near the top of the slots, ok. If both pairs are near the middle of the slots, ok. Anything else looks like a lack of attention to detail to me, but like I say, I am open to having the rationale explained to me, if there is one?

A simple drawing of four lines and two circles might help. ;)

Attachments

• 20201021_135352.jpg
    20201021_135352.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 608
Re:

That's not an accurate representation. Seat stays are not vertical in elevation, and along with 40 odd mm of fork bend, there is about 25mm of forward/backward axle positioning potential in the rear dropouts, as you know..

This thread is offering true entertainment.

I would assume the forks were designed first taking into account a pre-determined HT angle, wanted tyre size and clearance, wanted rake, available fork crown, available drop-outs, and of course wanted brake caliper reach for particular sourced brake. All that would have decided the finished fork blade length - not necessarily the fork blade length from Reynolds.

When that was done, selecting and setting the rear brake bridge height (and hence finished length) to "reasonably" match the front fork would have been a no brainer.

I'm no framebuilder, not especially a Raleigh fan, but did "borrow" my brothers Europa to do my paper round when my Pug had a puncture and hence I feel qualified to comment here. :p

Re:

I can't tell whether you're being self-deprecating or whether I've been rumbled..
Yeah what the hell.. if people are happy to have a bike that looks and performs best on a slight downhill gradient, who am I to argue? What's so bad about that? Let's face it, once you are old enough to remember forty years ago it's all slightly downhill anyway.. and that's if you're lucky. I couldn't build the thing.. where do I get off nit-picking over a few millimetres? I don't know what came over me... I apologise.. :facepalm: :)

Re:

Excellent link: loads of fascinating details (a few pages in and I’m already adopting a Mr Cholmondley-Warner reading voice).

Re: Re:

torqueless":3tfh2ge2 said:
I can't tell whether you're being self-deprecating or whether I've been rumbled..
Yeah what the hell.. if people are happy to have a bike that looks and performs best on a slight downhill gradient, who am I to argue? What's so bad about that? Let's face it, once you are old enough to remember forty years ago it's all slightly downhill anyway.. and that's if you're lucky. I couldn't build the thing.. where do I get off nit-picking over a few millimetres? I don't know what came over me... I apologise.. :facepalm: :)

Well, I assume this was directed at me, but no, not self deprecating or wanting to rumble anyone.

Just interested in bikes, and the processes involved. Can't see any reason for an apology; it's just a discussion
about a bike. Personally I think all bikes should have proper cantilever studs, clearance for proper tyres at least 35c, and front forks should have the freedom to put the cantilever studs anywhere where you like for wanted mechanical advantage aka the Pace RC31 for example. :cool:

My USA Masi, while retro and classy looking is just and only that. Made in Taiwan, fairly well put together, but thoroughbred it is not, and I never expected it to be. I think Raleigh did an admirable job with the 40th Anniversary Replica bike considering the shit storm we are dealing with in 2020. Is it a super bike though - no. Is there better value elsewhere - yes. Will it be a future classic - can't say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJk6bkjgko ..... always a nice watch and gives a warm feeling.

Re:

Woz the first sentence in my post was directed at the last sentence in yours. My apology was directed at anyone who derives no entertainment from my obsessing over brake drop anomalies. It seems that every time I ask for a rationale, I get a diagram that suggests some sort of fork rake-related inevitability to the bigger front brake drop. I know this to be untrue, and as you say, it is a no-brainer to put the rear brake bridge in a position that matches the front. The question is: Why wouldn't you?
I've been through Bagpuss's link without finding an answer. I doubt I'd find an answer in Paterek either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back