New sunrace or used xt cassette?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I am slowly nearing completion of a build. It started off as a budget conscious build, I got it to almost ready to cable up.wirh xt 1x11 gearing and cassette, but succumbed to some xtr m9000 gearing.

As I've not yet fitted a chain, and having the choice of a used xt 11-46 cassette or a new sunrace ms8 (I think) cassette (in black, but assume the colour will wear quickly), I am torn as to whether to stick with the XT cassette or go new with a new sunrace cassette and chain.

I've not used sunrace parts before now, so I guess I'm asking if they are any good?

Brain says use new parts as budget is already tripled over the intended spend, but thought I'd ask opinions.

I’m about 10k miles into a M8000 so can vouch for them. It’s getting ready though and on the next chain change it’ll be swapped.

As a brand I wondered if the quality would be up to shimano but I took the plunge with a sunrace square taper bottom bracket.

it looks like a un55 clone and works just as well, it's nice and smooth and not too heavy

If you've got all shimano and m9000, I'd go for something in the ballpark like a slx cassette new.

Hmmmm, seems there's votes either way. Might use the XT as I've already fitted it, and throw on the sunrace when it wears out, though I do have 2 xts and 2 sunrace so should be good for a while.

i have 3 eleven speed shimano based bikes, 2 are running sunrace cassettes and one is running xt cassette, all seem fine, no issues shifting on either, i will say i prefer the sunrace on the 11-46 ratio for one reason, the jump from 2nd to 1st is more even than the massive jump to first gear on the xt cassette, i would also suggest if choosing a shimano cassette i'd run a shimano chain, however on the sunrace cassette i'd suggest a higher end KMC, i haven't measured it but i think the KMC chain is narrower, only a tiny amount but i felt it seemed smoother on the sunrace cassette and easier to set up the indexing than the shimano chain.

Back