New project - starting small

Who would even know what they were worth?! Cannot believe the state of humanity, even though I work with those type of people daily it still makes me so angry.

Awful news and certainly very irritating, members of my family have had items stolen in the past and it is certainly distressing. Sorry to hear it and all the best mate.

Sounds like one of those customs-type things where the package contents and the value is written on the box, it's not like Royal Mail where you just tell them and that's it.
Ridiculous.

No not a seller scam - My friend received the package, and put it unopened in her desk. 4 weeks later when someone from our Sweden office was over on business and went to collect it - she opened her desk drawer, and it was gone....

Ghosty":lcipun6y said:
Sounds like one of those customs-type things where the package contents and the value is written on the box, it's not like Royal Mail where you just tell them and that's it.
Ridiculous.

Awesome hubs and disk set! They will work brilliantly. I've always preferred the old school v-brake look on these retros - and the Spin wheels on this particular frame. This one's been mine since new.
http://s46.photobucket.com/user/captnslow/library/

It's always nice to see the affection on this forum for these old machines that certainly were catalysts in cycling becoming a whole of family recreational activity.

Re:

Nice bike, what rear shock are you using, and how does it ride?

Also, which Easton seatpost is that? I am looking for a nice post in the correct 30.8 size.

I am not a fan of carbon wheels on MTBs myself, but I know many do. Each to their own :)

I now have a plan B at least, after my NOS Nuke Proof hubs were stolen :evil:

These babies are currently being laced to a NOS period pair of Mavic rims :D

20403197129_bba7380842_b.jpg

Rear shock is a Rockshox SID Dual Air - circa 2000. Bought it as a matched par with the front forks. Ride is best described as 'lush'! Very tunable from rolling hills XC style at the lower pressure end through to 'tight' for bombing down tricky drops - not on the Spins though.

Not sure how much carbon is in the Spins - I reckon at best they are carbon reinforced plastic with a fair bit of nylon in there as well. Nice on pavement, but the Crossmaxes / Conti Race Kings go on when I'm looking for some accuracy.

Easton seat post is a Easton EC70, bars are the matched Easton carbon monkeylite risers - both circa early 2000's from memory.

My recommendation (for what it's worth) is definitely get a matched pair of tunable shocks. These things have unmatched ride when you get them tuned. Nothing comes close in terms of smoothness - and I've tried quite a few dualies including Specialized FSR's through to current Epics etc. The MCM's are not light, but then again they are not a race bike either. What they do provide, though is a very comfortable place for ticking over the kilometers and getting amongst the native scenery. I've regularly covered more than 100kms in rides without feeling the slightest bit 'beat up'.

Best of luck with your project.

Finally something happened on this side-project, got my forks fitted with Englund Total Air cartridges, so now they absorb shocks instead of just bouncing around like pogo-sticks - at least by 90's standards :D

IMG_2714 by Bollox2u, on Flickr

Back