New Project - Fat Chance Yo Eddy Team in Grello/blue

Re:

It looks like it's going to be a lovely build. I'd use the Salsa stem.

I don't entirely get the love for Fats. There's no denying they look perfect, but my WTR absolutely blinds the Yo I had. I'm very slim though and the Yo was not a compliant ride for me. My Fat Ti is an improvement on the Yo but the Mountain Goat is my all time favourite.

Re: Re:

iveto1983":w3gafyh7 said:

I don't entirely get the love for Fats. There's no denying they look perfect, but my WTR absolutely blinds the Yo I had. I'm very slim though and the Yo was not a compliant ride for me. My Fat Ti is an improvement on the Yo but the Mountain Goat is my all time favourite.

Thanks buddy, going to end up with atleast 3 stems to choose from on this, going to be a compromise re looks and fit I guess ;)

Hoping it will ride beautifully, my 92 Team Issue Marin is steel frame and fork and I'm amazed at how that feels. I'll be disappointed if this isn't as nice. Love Moutain Goat one day, saw a feature many years ago in MBUK with one in red lug detail and blue patterned tubes, think it had painted Mag21's, fell in love with them then but have never seen one in the flesh.

iveto1983":27wrzxi2 said:

The geo and tube spec of the early Goats is similar to the FAT Chance Team Comp, more fork rake 1.75", TPrestige tubes etc and a more forgiving all day ride, which lets be honest, is appreciated at our age :LOL: . The Yos were built with thin but larger diameter tubes to give race bike stiffness, have 1.5" or rake etc ie best suited to all out performance without the fragility downsides of Alu though.

My FAT Ti 94 and 97 are as good as it gets ride wise imo but my Yo gets by far the most attention in bike shops and out and about ;) Seems far more people know what it is.

First build incarnation finished, taking her to Bedgebury for a shake down ride with the Mrs today. I'll get some outdoor pics up later :)

Got to a Bedgebury after an hours drive to be told that no one else was being allowed in as the car park was rammed, first outing was a cycle with the Mrs and dog around Bewl Water instead. I couldn't have asked for a nicer day, relatively warm and beautiful hazy sunshine :)

This bike is bloody amazing, okay I wasn't pushing it today but I didn't miss suspension and every bit of expended energy seemed to propel her forward. Almost as light to ride as my Merlin, I love it.

Re:

Lovely....telepathic handling is what FATs are all about. These Yos were so far ahead of the game bitd, with massive tyre clearance....so...like a modern Fat bike, who needs suspension ?

Modern rubber on an old Wicked.

Attachments

• IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 532

M-Power":2p324zws said:
Lovely....telepathic handling is what FATs are all about. These Yos were so far ahead of the game bitd, with massive tyre clearance....so...like a modern Fat bike, who needs suspension ?

Indeed :)

I'm running 2.1 Porcs but as you say there is so much room. I need to find some wider tyres, preferably retro or atleast something without huge logos. Any thoughts?

Minifreak":1f7f3gsz said:
M-Power":1f7f3gsz said:

Indeed :)

I'm running 2.1 Porcs but as you say there is so much room. I need to find some wider tyres, preferably retro or atleast something without huge logos. Any thoughts?

The fattest tyres bitd were the Spesh GC Extreeme 2.5, which worked pretty well in the hardpack dirt in summer around the SDW and Epping Forest ( no good in soft conds ). They fit on my TC fine but would have even more clearance on a Yo. They were too tight on anything else of that era pretty much and i tried, inc Merlins. The Canis in 26in is highly rated but hard to get hold of but not tried it yet.

Latest posts

Back