New member with Aluminium Elite

Re:

Thanks for the comments, makes dong a project like this more worthwhile. I've done it all by hand with a total time of around 5 hours but only in between other jobs. 'A change is as good as a rest' somebody once told me. For hard to reach places a toothbrush with a cloth gently wrapped around is a good idea, as for protecting it - there's really no way. Laquer wouldn't stick very well and turns yellow for some reason, I had motorbikes in the past with polished frames and it's not that bad unless you continue to neglect it, or keep it outdoors etc. It couldn't stay as it was because moisture had got beneath the laquer and was worming its way around. I won't be using the bike much so I'll just keep polishing it.

Re:

Fantastic fettling job done there, virtually mirror finish – I can see why you got excited about applying the decals! Nice work.

Re:

Dilemma! The frame looks too good for them now. You'll have to get some new bits! But some of these old bits can be rejuvenated with more careful polishing or very careful paint retouch maybe. Then again, it's ok to have some characterful patina to show too.

Re:

It's been a busy few weeks and as well as this I've a four-wheeled project on the go too, that's taking a lot longer than planned. Add to that kids, work, sorting another bike out for my youngest son, and trying to squeeze in riding time and this has been shoved to the back of the garage.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 440
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_3743.JPG
    IMG_3743.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 440
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 440
Re:

This has been hidden in the back of the garage for a while, waiting for bits. I abandoned the hope / Mavic wheels when I found these XTR m900 hubbed wheels on eBay for a whopping £35.
Spec so far;
Orange aluminium elite frame and fork
XTR m900 hubs
Mavic x138 / 217 Rims
IRC mythos XC 1.95" tyres
Hope Skewers
XT m735 front + rear mechs
M730 Cranks with 24/36/46 rings
M734 brakes
XT ST-M095 Shifters / levers
XT M737 cassette 11-28t
XT 1 1/4" headset
Orange hot rod bars

Controltech stem
Thomson Seat Post
RSP Seat Post Clamp
Lizard skins grips

Just need to choose a seat and Pedals and it's ready to ride, I'll keep a look out for a more suitable post Clamp and stem but I'm glad it's finally ready. The Shifters are only 7 Speed but it works fine, with enough adjustment at the Shifter to choose between 11-24 or 12-28. The crank bolts aren't the best but will do. I have a better pair somewhere...

Most importantly for a skinflint like me is cost - the whole thing currently stands at around £80 with 30ish going on stickers.
Can't wait to get it muddy!

Attachments

• IMG_9849.JPG
    IMG_9849.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 213
Re:

Nice build ! Polishing aluminium and the almost instant results is very satisfying isnt it ?

Re:

Thanks. And polishing alu is quite satisfying.
I couldn't wait any longer, last night I pinched the Seat off another bike and some pedals off the floor, making sure this was ready to go today. Took it out for a quick spin that then turned into 13 miles. I love it! General pedalling along is average but what amazed me was the ability to thread this bike through the narrowest, tightest turns, almost where the only track is what the foxes have made, almost at a standstill. On my five or zaskar I'd have just given up and turned around but this gets anywhere. It's great up-hill too. Acceleration is great thanks to its light weight, I've adjusted the gears though as despite working 100%, I need the 28 more than the 11 on the rear. The brake pads may need slight adjustment when they've bedded in to the rims.
So far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_9860.JPG
    IMG_9860.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 163
Back