new laptop questions advice needed

Another non expert but it sounds like you just need something to operate your Iphone? If this is the case and you don't need bigger screen for instance or better picture processing power why not just get an external hardrive for your current laptop? Your only issue seems to be space.

jonnyboy666":2493i28x said:
yeah i suppose i mean hard drive but last time i tried to uninstall some stuff it had a full on eppy!! :shock: but how do you know what would be junk?

Well if you don't know what it is then you probably don't use it :LOL:
Shame you live so far away else I'd pop round. But I'm sure there are plenty other RetroBikers on here and close to you that can help.

You could try this first though
Press 'Windows key and R together'

then type in
cleanmgr /sageset:1
hit ok and select everything and let it clean it up ;)

Just removes temp files and things for a freshen up.
Not sure if it clears stored password in Internet Explorer, but you can always enter them again ;)

etc.. but depends what you want to do.

so linux is just a different running program then like windows/vista etc but not microsoft?

Pretty much . way back when unix and then linux was what tech people would use , microsoft was the single home user stuff , which was fine when you sat on your own doing a spreadsheet but now you spend time with other people on the internet and windows wasn't designed for that use .

The best thing with linux is it's free , in every sense of the word , it costs nothing to get hold of , nothing to use and if you can learn how to do things there is no restriction .

@LGF if i did that i'd have no internet though :( this is the only option in the house, thanks though. i'd rather have dodgy internet/laptop that no internet.

but to be honest, i just want something new! :LOL:

apple are pretty but thet are over priced for what you get.my suggestion is to go to a tescos or somewhere like comet where they should be very helpful...the prices are very good too and if you get any probs at least the techs are close by.a samsung c10 note book would be just fine for about 250 quid and its battery lasts all day.

just tried the clean up thing, don't know if it has helped! mainly coz i can't tell what it would have done!! :LOL: :oops:

tried to uninstall my motorola stuff as i don't use that anymore as that's for an old phone, it let me uninstall one part, the driver, but not the program, came up with a box saying something about system exe failed or something. :?

jonnyboy666":19oihqyz said:
just tried the clean up thing, don't know if it has helped! mainly coz i can't tell what it would have done!! :LOL: :oops:

tried to uninstall my motorola stuff as i don't use that anymore as that's for an old phone, it let me uninstall one part, the driver, but not the program, came up with a box saying something about system exe failed or something. :?
Easiest way is to install then uninstall from the original software.

Just keep doing the uninstall for things you know you don't want.

it means the program doesnt have the right executable file to get rid of the program.......try defragging your hard drive..

Back