new build for my 8 year old :)

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
After building a 10-year-old-sized GT Pantera for my eldest last year: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=366518 this year it's time for my 8 year old to get some new wheels! Nearly 9, and not much shorter than his now 11 year old brother, I started looking a few months ago. Once again Racin'snake came up with a great little "Handsome Dog" (never heard of them before ?) frame which looked like it would suit. So this time instead of buying a full bike and giving it a makeover, I though we'd try a budget custom build. Turned out to not be quite as budget as hoped, but not expensive either, and certainly a lot better than anything the LBS could sell me for the same price! The idea wasn't to build a retro, modern, or anything else in particular - just a decent bike project that will be great to ride and let him get a few years of use from it.
A nice set of Onza forks from SEANSTEPHENS, a few parts from the spares box, some pinched from my parkpre, a couple of new bits from the LBS, a lovely karma seatpost from Alison (will be forwarding on the karma soon!), and it's almost finished...

handsome dog frame (no idea what model, year or anything else...) stickers removed, a fair amount of polishing done, and some more still to do...
onza forks
wheels are shimano/bontrager hubs on 217 sunsets from my parkpre
onza rip and rail tyres are some NOS ones I had hanging around
stem, came with the frame, have painted it black to suit
bars ?
seatpost is easton something (thanks again Alison!)
brake levers were some cheap ones I found for small hands, they are for V brakes but the levers sit a lot closer to the bars than normal levers
rear mech and shifter were new from the LBS (very basic shimano but they work fine)
cranks were difficult... my eldest is just OK on 170mm, but my 8 year old found them too long. In the end I went for some 155mm road cranks from Paul Milnes cycles, and pinched the 110 bcd NW ring from my parkpre
brakes I had in the parts box
saddle is new from the LBS
lime green grips have been order to match

My lad has been helping with the build, and the colour scheme is his idea (will be silver and black with lime green highlights when all finished). It's nearly done, still need to fit the front brake, find a new seat post clamp in black, adjust a few things (saddle needs to be dropped all the way down, it's way too high for him to ride it as it is in the pics), and then let him ride it :LOL:

Attachments

• 2018-08-07 19.01.41 (Small).jpg
    2018-08-07 19.01.41 (Small).jpg
    96 KB · Views: 567
  • 2018-08-07 19.01.26 (Small).jpg
    2018-08-07 19.01.26 (Small).jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 567
  • 2018-08-07 19.01.54 (Small).jpg
    2018-08-07 19.01.54 (Small).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 567
  • 2018-08-07 19.01.19 (Small).jpg
    2018-08-07 19.01.19 (Small).jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 567
That looks nice, i bet he will be pleased :)

Can i ask what size the wheels are? i assume 26" with those rims but is the bike a good size for your 8yr old? i only ask as my 8yr old is ready for a new bike and i was thinking 26" might be too big.

cheers

Mark

Re:

Lovely build, sunsets :cool:.

Sorry I didnt start my kid on 26” wheels at age 6 now but she was so attached to the 20” wheel Islabike.

Re:

Yes they're 26", with the saddle right down he will be able to ride it ok, and get the balls of both feet on the ground, which I think at his age is more important than correct saddle height anyway, they need to feel secure to get the confidence before setting things up "properly". Will post some updated pics of my 11 year olds GT too, he already has the saddle up a reasonable amount and it doesn't look "too big" for him anymore. They were both on 20" wheel bikes since age 5, but have outgrown them now. I can't see the point of 24", but the modern stuff is mostly 27.5" or 29", and there doesn't seem to be anything in between... All my bikes are 26", and I don't want yet another standard in the house! There's nowt wrong with 26" wheels anyway. And my 8 year old knows nothing about retro, but has already said the sunsets are "way cool!" :LOL:

Re:

Great job.

I did similar for my 8y.o. boy using an Azonic DS1 on 24" rims and it works a treat. Gives just that little lower standover and we can easily move up to 26“ when he's ready.

Been on the lookout for some shorter cranks but he seems to be doing well with 170mm, triple rings help a lot and was a key part of the deal.

Working on the next one foy the younger offspring now, she's only 2 but I already have plans :)

Re:

A really tiny in proportion frame allows them to ride 26” wheels from quite an early age. They seem to be more stable on it too and it handles the bumps better with the bigger wheels.

Back