Never ending Basso Build

cheaper to buy a sh rearr derailleur, 10spd ergos and use a 8spd simano cassette.

btw, 8 spd cassettes (Campy exa drive) fit nicely on 9-10 spd hubs as well.. they'll just destroy the freehub body in no time :D :D

see:
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/174992/

btw, if you use some steel plates under the cassette cogs to share the load and torque, you can probably get away with it. One will need a different lockring though.

Trust me, I know about every compatibility issue :) Even contributed a lot about the subject on hungarian sites :)

10 spd campy shifter-8spd sh derry will index nicely with 8spd cassettes. Shimano and campy alike (the latter requires a liiitle bit of adjustment though.. not much)

Tested 8spd campag drivetrain with sh cassette, worked like a charm also.

Thanks for your input. :) Probably will go with just new decals and accessories, and will keep the whiteish frame.

I don't have twitter :( :(

yeah there are a lot of compatability issues where things that are not proper, do infact work !
like a short cage rear mech working on a 26. :cool:

Used the supersport plus folding for a few thousand kilometres. Very nice-robust tyres, not as durable as vittorias of course. I'd recommend the Rubino Pro3 slicks, they are astonishingly durable!

8k km-s and no flats! Contis have better grip, but they are wear at a faster rate, and tend to rupture at the sidewalls (that was the reason I've changed mine..)

BTW, seriously tempted for this one:

http://apro.bikemag.hu/browse/orszaguti ... 58382.html 55k HUF? that's 141 GBP. Bargainous

Also, some wheels, 72 spokes, Wolber Alpine T430 rims, ultegra FH-6500 and HB-6500 (9-10speed) hubs for 15k HUF
http://apro.bikemag.hu/browse/orszaguti ... 58214.html

tyres-tubes included as well, for 39 GBP, bargain. The tyres are worn totally, though. The wheelset was used by some kid, hence the rear cassette..

yes i was thinking about a crosser, neat cantilever brakes and plenty of mudgaurd clearance for the winter.
cant wait can you ? all that frost,snow and wet leaves lovely.
thanks for the comparison on continental ss vs vittoria pro 3 i will go for the cheapest :)
as i will have 3 sunday bests and my latest planned hack/ light tourer .
what do you reckon on shimano 105 and ultegra 10sp shifter's on e bay average price seems
to be about the £50 mark ?

best wishes and for your work, kevin

Nasty decals got peeled.. So, bought a new set from the bringadekor guy. Fortunately, decals are still around 10 euros posted. :)

Got a new Jagwire CEX cable kit from ebay for 5 euros. New HG-50 chain for 6.5 euros. Gommitalia Iris K tyres from planet-x for 5 GBP with free shipping. New cassette 13-23 fitted, unfortunately the cassete cost 20 gbp, a robbery..

A friend of mine sold me a wheelset with athena hubs (9-10-11speed freehub body, but he included the lockring, and also, the old 8spd freehub fits these wheels nicely! ) he asked 35 GBP for the wheelset (Open Pro SUP ceramic rims with red-yellow decals, hoshi double butted spokes laced with campy athena hubs, included the skewers, rim tape and 4 spare tubes as well.. He's a very nice guy! also let me to buy a new saddle, flite max with vanox rails for 15 GBP)

Last, I only needed a longer stem, and wider handlebars. Paid 5 GBP for the new stem (3ttt record 84 gunmetal gray, 120mm) and 10 GBP for the new handlebars (Ritchey WCS Logic II, 44cm wide, 144mm drop, 82mm reach.)

So, wanted to keep the costs to a minimum. Changed the g-springs in the ergos, fit the new wheelset with cassette, taped on the new decals, changed the chain-cbles-tyres.

Now the bike is road worthy, and much more comfy with the new saddle-handlebars and longer stem!

a pic of the experiment:

basically only the wear-tear parts were bought as new:chain-cables-tyres

The rest of the kit was 2nd hand, classifieds.

by the way, the guy, who provided the wheelset, stem, handlebar, saddle is called "bellabici" on lfgss.. check his feedback, a real gentleman!

http://www.lfgss.com/profiles/73959/

would not hesitate to buy from him again.. actually did it again yesterday, this saddle (14 GBP shipped)

Titanium rails.

Please note: I always write the real price of the things, WITH shipping included. because that fuciking post and courier service is pricey.. :( :(

hi you happy new year to you.i did not know 9/10 campag free hubs are interchangable with 8.
thanks for the info.
iwould hazard a guess your going to get some 9/10 ergo levers for a well cheap price one day!
i got some trek system 2 h bars/stem and post shipped here recently with import tax it cost a bomb

Re:

happy new year!

be aware! only later 8spd hubs accept early 9-10-11spd freehub bodies.

ie.: 1996 hubs can interchange FH bodies with early non-OS axle 9 speed hubs.

My wheels happen to have the same FH-body attachement and spindle design, so I can just change them readily.

I wont lie though, I DO use these wheels with 11speed FH body now with 8speed cassette :$ looks "disgusting", but mechanicers in LBS told me that it won't be a problem..

why does the cassette look disgusting...please send a photo.
see what you mean by never ending build now! :LOL:
equipment changes but the frame remains,ultimately
to campag' record' perhaps....one day :cool:

Re:

A friend of mine sent this. Offer for an SKS supercorsa frame pump, 1.20 GBP (that's it... exactly 1.20) would be a nice addition to my "new-old" tachometer: cateye cordless 2 (functions perfectly, and, it's wireless :) )

Thought about upgrading to 10speed slowly, but today unfortunately I've turned off my facebook alarm on the phone, and there was a great offer what got away:

Chorus 10 speed carbon brifters for 48 GBP, veloce dual pivot calipers for 7 GBP... I was the 14th person to view the advert, but the stuff was sold by then... The brifters were without scratches and the hoods were very good, without tears or smoothening.. The brakes were also in nice condition:

For the "disgusting cassette" I just mean this:

the wheelset was used this way for years, and now I'm doing the same :oops: :oops: The LBS mechs told me that it won't be a problem.. cassette just fits fine, albeit, you have to use the lockring provided with the rear hub.

Kind regards :) BTW, I have the 8speed wheelset for sale, if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back