Never ending Basso Build

Some "ideas".

Chainring bolts, blue coloured, bottle cage bolts also
Black tyres, 24 or 25*622, unfortunately my fork won't accept 28*622 tyres.

Black compact cranks. But that can wait until my cassette wears down. Currently running 13-14-15-17-19-21-23-26, and 53*39. Compact would give larger range of gears. Would keep the UT system, so, perhaps would go for black Veloce or Centaur cranks before 2011, which were all UT.

Now it's a bit late (given that the paintwork is fresh and new) but also learnt that extending the fork steerer (so that you could use a threadless headset and an ahead stem) is an option. Done with cutting the steerer tube, and re-brazing a longer, non-threaded tube. Luckily, most of the ahead stems come with a shim for 1" ahead forks, so that would not be a problem. And ahead headset with the appropriate black stem looks far better than the old quill-style threaded system. (just my opinion, you can argue :D )

Anyway, I'll have to cover a shitloads of miles before doing any changes again. :)

Btw, my former cheapish 8spd chain (HG40 by shimano) lasted only 4k km-s (about 3k miles) and then was so worn that I had to replace it. How can I extend the lifespan of a chain?

I typically use cadence between 95 and 110, rarely use very large gears. My chain is regulary cleaned via removng and shaking it in gasoline, then after drying re-lubing. Any ideas?

cheers.

by the way, few days ago had the maiden voyage since the re-build.
20140205_152909_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

citrus cleaner is good stuff +water soluble . sgrubbing pad and old rag, spay lube with ptfe is good ;)

So a month ago perhaps a car hit me with it's door, I ended up falling over and broking off my right thumbie lever (release button.)

fortunately it took me 2 days to get a spare right athena carbon lever (old pointy top hoods) which were a bit expensive (paid 20 pounds for the right lever :mad: :mad:) but they are totally awsome looking, nice hoods, nice parts, only the springs are tired a bit. but fortunately my ergo was only hurt in the thumbie button, so only changed that little part.

after 5 day to the crash the shifter was totally healthy again, and was clicking nicely with looud "click" sounds. So, everything turned out well, even though the lever got scratched a little bit in the crash. Nothing major.

One friend gave me some K2 polishing "toothpaste", which can be applied with a rag. It can turn raw surfaces into mirror.

prolly will strip the seatpost from its coating, sand it till it's smooth and matte, then apply the paste to get mirror looking :)

nice ones mate ! i reckon you get top banana for the cheapest retro build ever !!!
have you any aspirations for racing? tri or anything ?
are you looking forward to le tour ? are you far from it or the vuelta ?

Re:

Racing? Neh, cycling is just a nice hobby for me, not even something which I use as a main sport (I basically lift, and use cycling to wash out the waste from my legs and get some fresh air and sunlight).

Last year I missed the gym totally, though covered cca. 10k kms on two wheels. Nowadays it's rather the reverse, I mostly lift, and don't go for long distances.

I recon I always try to keep everything REASONABLY PRICED. Ie.: If I'd upgrade the cranks, I'd rather buy Silverish Veloce PT or even UT for less money than a 12-13 years old Record-chorus square tapered crank sans bottom bracket.

The cassette unfortunately will need replacing soon. SOmetimes there's a minor slippage with the new chain on some cogs, therefore I've already have a 8spd miche block on the way.

Also, later it'll be possible to sell the wheelset, and get a 9-10spd one, as I've managed to get a KIT-03 for free (basically six 3.25mm spacer, one 0.45mm spacer for the smallest cog and one 1.2mm spacer behind the largest cog) (it was manufactured for me by a friend of mine who wanted to thank the help that he got from me : D)

So, sometimes I wonder whether I'd go ahead with getting nice silverish hubs, low-profile rims, some double butted spokes with blue alloy nipples, and go ahead with lacing..)

Re:

I've managed to tear apart the seatpost binder bolt :D Fortunately, I have a "temporary" solution, which looks .... ugly, as hell,but at least it holds the seatpost.

Also, I've stripped the black anodizing from the seatpost and gave it to a key copier guy to polish it up, he did it for 1! buck (took him about 2 minutes, so it's like he's earning 30 bucks every hour :D )

before the seatpost treatment

after

and the disgustingly ugly and unelegant solution for now:

and some posing in ze mirroire

know

great stuff :D im sure every one would agree youve completely transformed it from what it was
well done :D

Re: heat me up

okay. The forehangs (courtains? Vorhänge? Firhang in "VTG Hungarian") are all orange-reddish. The carpet is veery red-cherry coloured, The walls have a lightish orange shade (like pumpkin) and the furniture is all in reddish shade of cherry wood.)

I miss the old Basso which was red as an apple. Especially miss the green bartape and outer cables. I miss the cascade of colours. So, I need to change something.

Route1:
-complete new paintjob in Saronni Red or Kandy red. Need a good RAL code.
-Complete new paintjob in Gold. My brother a few weeks ago purchased a Honda HOrnet in Gold. I LOVE it. And he loves the ride too.

Route2:
-Keep the white. Ditch the dark blue decals-outer cables-qrs. Get some gumwall yellow tyres, some yellow saddle, red bartape, red outer cables. Warm colours on the accessories, with possibly a seatpost-crank polish (the cranks are in awful shape, anodizing has worn off in several places..)

Possibly a fork powder coat (costs around 4 bucks, so basically cheap)

Due to the cca. 8k kms covered on the tyres, I need to change them anyway. They hold up still nicely, but few weeks ago I had my first flat on them.

I'd go with a full refurb, but that costs a fortune if done properly and I have to wait weeks for the ride.

Any suggestions? I've browsed in the shop of steel vintage, looking at bikes with warm colours. I particulary love red-yellow pairings with some white.

Help me out please :) Later I'm planning to get some gruopset upgrade too. Possibly going for 10spd shifters and shimano derailleur (shimergo 8s route) due to the cheap upkeep and supply for 8spd shimano parts.

I have a brand new miche primato 8s campag cogset (with actual 9 cogs, due to a separate purchase of 16t) never mounted, I'm planning to use those next year.

Any input-advice would be kindly appreciated.

Kind regards

KBMPI

m i believe camp 8 sp free hubs are diferent to 9/10 speed and so sprockets are not interchangable,
im not sure if any one has experimented by filing/grinding these?
you can overcome compatability issues 'shimergo' with a 'jtec shift mate'they are £30[pulley wheel interface]
i thought of fluo orange for my winter trainer but have since changed that idea. i have a pair of campag kamsin wheels
and campag 10sp cassette new.im going to use s/hand 105sti 10sp and 105mechs.
what i dont get mate is how comes you got so many followers on 'twitter' ? :)

Back