Neither a bicycle nor a motorcycle

2015 budget, proposed that a sliding return of ring fencing VED for road maintenance.
2018 budget 32billion earmarked for road maintenance.

2022, no ringfencing of VED for road maintenance is yet in place but approximately 50-80% of VED now goes to roads, although local councils are still not seeing much of it.

so it's sort of road tax, maybe as much as 80% of it, so it's rotax for now. :)

Very informative, I didn't read it all, so it's road tax then?
Short read.....yes.....long read.....no
How it works now since the change all that tax goes into a big pot so that govs get to play about with the money in unaccountable fashion so that potholes get filled with puddles......that's how I read it anyway....

If we are returning to a road funding tax, should the tax due not be proportional to your vehicle's impact on the road surface, not its emissions? If that were the case, EVs would (should?) be taxed more as they are generally heavier than an equivalent Dino juice car.
Bicycles would still be exempt of course.

I know it'll never catch on, as mass transit should be encouraged, and bus companies would take a massive hit if they were taxed based on road impact.
Cars, which should be discouraged wouldn't be penalised too much.

It's just a tax, we can call it what we want really, the government take and do what they will, NHS, defence, benefits, for all I know my £30 has already gone on a bottle of wine at a Tory office party?

It's just a tax, we can call it what we want really, the government take and do what they will, NHS, defence, benefits, for all I know my £30 has already gone on a bottle of wine at a Tory office party?
Yes it has....there's a red wine stain and some clumpy dried stuff behind the copier....if you need to check your tax is being spent wisely.

Heroes of health and sobriety, take from the poor and get pished at their expense to ensure their livers are spotless so they can toil longer 😍

Back