Neither a bicycle nor a motorcycle

But the cars are cheap if you have a car tarrif, so charge at night like the old economy7 setup.

The people I know who were on those tarriffs say with the rise in energy costs the daytime rate has been raised so much that they are better off on a standard atrriff now.

The people I know who were on those tarriffs say with the rise in energy costs the daytime rate has been raised so much that they are better off on a standard atrriff now.
I remember on eco7 through a full day for something always on it was pretty much the same as a non-eco7 tarrif
But these are different.

The Ami's are ace, they do a cargo version. Sort of thing most people actually need over a car for the cities and towns.
Anything larger can be rented for the one offs.

Gives a cost of running evs big and small, but only 8100 annual mileage

At the moment, purchase and running costs means a 55mpg diesel is the best option for now

*some quick calculations has the hyundai ioniq costing around £3200 a year just to charge it given the real world range of around 125 miles and my 19000 miles per annum , 52p per kWh, 44.1kWh full charge charge

**and it reminds me that I spend far too much on commuting

Last edited:
I think my combo of ebike and 64mpg ford focus has to be pretty economical, but I haven't done the maths.

64mpg eh? My barganus focus only seems to get about 44 on my commute. Hilly though.
Took the ebike today, forgot to take charger with me. Haha. Ebike w@nker.
So it took me longer on the way back, eeking out as much as I could, as it's not nice to pedal, un assisted.

I'm old, it's road tax.
Not that old... It stopped paying for roads specifically in 1937.
"A vehicle tax was first introduced in Britain in 1888. In 1920, an excise duty was introduced that was specifically applied to motor vehicles; initially it was hypothecated (ring-fenced or earmarked) for road construction and paid directly into a special Road Fund. After 1937, this reservation of vehicle revenue for roads was ended, and instead the revenue was paid into the Consolidated Fund – the general pot of money held by government. Since then, maintenance of the UK road network has been funded out of general taxation, of which VED is a part.[4]"

Not that old... It stopped paying for roads specifically in 1937.
"A vehicle tax was first introduced in Britain in 1888. In 1920, an excise duty was introduced that was specifically applied to motor vehicles; initially it was hypothecated (ring-fenced or earmarked) for road construction and paid directly into a special Road Fund. After 1937, this reservation of vehicle revenue for roads was ended, and instead the revenue was paid into the Consolidated Fund – the general pot of money held by government. Since then, maintenance of the UK road network has been funded out of general taxation, of which VED is a part.[4]"
Very informative, I didn't read it all, so it's road tax then?

Back