Need help with a wrong size frame.....

mazzamark

Dirt Disciple
Hi I took a crash into a car in 2013 and not really got back into cycling since.

I did buy a bike straight away without thinking and It must have been the bump to the head, I bought a Trek Madone 5.5. It is way too small for me 4 yes 4 cm short. I need around 58cm. It has basically brand new dura ace 7700 or 7800 groupset with triple chainset. I prefer a steel frame, audax would be ideal so I can fit mudguards.

Question is which frame could I look for that would fit most components straight over?

Any help much appreciated, Mark

Spa cycles audax? most components should fit except front mech/headset/seatpost

Should be able to use any classic steel frame with some adaptors.

-Quill to Aheadset stem adapter and you'll be able to use the stem and bars.
-Downtube cable stops needed for the gear cables.
-Seatpost to suit the steel frame.
-Standard threaded bottom bracket with whatever taper or splines are on your cranks.
-You'll need to spread the rear a little bit because your wheel will probably be 130mm. Go for a 90s frame and it'll only need to spring open 4mm.
-Brakes should go straight on. May need to drill the back hole on the fork for the barrel nut, may need to use a nut on the rear caliper.
-Front mech will need a mount, probably from SJS Cycles.

Re:

Sorry to revive an old thread, I might just have found a frame locally eventually.

I have a few questions, I still have my old bike that I crashed so I can use stem, bars, seat and seatpost.

Am I right in saying I can use my hollowtech ii crank if I get an italian BB that suits?

Would this be the right kind of front mech adaptor

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares ... -smad91ms/

Any help much appreciated as I'm trying to buy the parts from the UK and hassle to return from Portugal where I live.

Re:

I might be lucky here?

My donor bike is the Madone 5.5 and the bike I might be buying has a braze on front mech like the other pic. Question is, will it fit and work with triple from the Madone?

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 693
  • DSC05669.jpg
    DSC05669.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 693
looks like the madone has a braze on front mech too, just use that one. The cable pull might be different between the older front mech on the steel frame and the newer one on the madone so it might not work well with the levers. Also, a triple chainset with double front mech is hard to get working, the double front mech will only allow a lot smaller jump between chainring sizes so it probably won't work very well at all.

interested in seeing more of the steel frame :) bright red columbus TSX is always a good thing!

If you set them up carefully, a double front mech will shift a triple perfectly well. I've done a good couple of hundred miles on the Campag triple pictured with a standard double front mech.

IMAG0804_zpsvuq3gj9e.jpg

To be fair, that is with Campag downtube shifters which is a much more tolerant setup than STI or Ergo.

Back to the OP.. as you have the triple mech, I'd use it. If they're both braze on there's no issue.

Re:

Thanks for the replies.

Lovely looking Concorde. The bike I crashed was a 90's SLX, loved it.

The sti's, mech and chainset on the madone are all triple, I was hoping I could just swap over it all to the new build.

The new bike would be a project and hopefully look like the TSX on the picture.

Cheers. That one's SL. I was out on my SLX one earlier today.

Looking at the Trek, the brakes, shifters and drivetrain will all transplant without issue, to whatever you buy.

You might need a different bottom bracket, dependant on the threading of the new frame and you'll need to, as you already mentioned, use a different seatpost and stem if its steel you're buying.

If the new frame has a braze on front derailleur hanger then you simply attach the FD from the Trek. If the seat tube doesn't have a braze on then an adapter like the one you linked to at SJS will do the job. Bear in mind that there are 3 potential tube sizes and you'll need to get the right adapter (28.6/31.8/35mm).

there's plenty of friendly help on here, so if you get the frame and then post pics of it I'm sure there will be a number of helpful posts advising how and what you need to make the bits from the Trek work on the new frame.

I have several unmodified 80's/90's frames working with parts from other bikes and vintages. So, speaking from experience, you need not worry much...Almost anything is do-able.

Latest posts

Back