Need help identifying this Alan Framed bike and components

dineshh

Retro Newbie
Purchased this Bike from Italy last week and it arrived last night. Looking at the frame; it is in very good shape with very little use.
Here are some pics the seller posted:

http://s145.photobucket.com/user/tullio ... t=3&page=1

From close examination; the head tube badge, top of the fork decals and the bottom of the down tube decals seems to be the only original markings. I'm guessing the yellow lettering is fake and put on there for cosmatic reasons for eBay.
I searched various forums but couldn't put an year to the frame. I'm thinking late 90s from various sizes and cable routing.
Would appreciate if someone can shed some light into when this frame was built.

As for the components, I'm yet to identify the following:

The seller told me the hubs were Campagnolo Records (9 speed). However, there are no markings on any of the hubs apart from the front dust caps and the Skewers having the words Campagnolo stamped on them but no wording to say "Record". They do have the lube holes in the middle.

Not sure about the Crank other than they have Miche rings.

Stem possibly Deda ???

The bike is missing Brake/Shift leavers, Rear cassette, Pedals and the rear Derailleur.

I found a used set of Campy Record 10 speeds shift levers converted to 9 Speed on Ebay here in the US which I purchased.

Thinking of getting the following:
Campy Xenon RD (short cage).
Campy 9 speed Chain.
Campagnolo Veloce ultradrive 9 Speed 12-23 cassette.
Shimano PD-A600 SPD Pedals.
At some point will be replacing the Selle Italia Trimatic saddle.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm not a racer just a recreational rider who happens to commute to work here in Arizona during the cooler months till about 105f. However, I do appreciate classic bikes and components and still have a Raleigh build on an early 80s Gransport frame with various vintage Campy, Cinelli and Shimano parts.

Thanking in advance for your help,

Dinesh H

A nice package, the frame itself is early Alan from the 80's and they were very ahead of their time which may explain the previous owner's desire to put 90's parts on it. Your parts appear to be a Chorus/Record (9sp period) mix from the late 90's. The hubs are Chorus or Record but check the brochure section of this site for an accurate ID. Chorus and Record are Campagnolo's top end groups, can I suggest that you'll be doing them a dis-service by now pairing them up with lowly Veloce and Xenon. Chorus rear mechs can be got for around £40 on eBay.

It's much newer than the early 80s, early frames never had internal cables

ALAN used to date stamp the seat tube up near the top, check there and see if there is any numbers

This is a 1980 ALAN Super Record

P1010684.jpg

Re:

Thank you both for the replies. Why I think it is a mid to late 90s is that apart from the internal cable guides, it has shift adjusters for the cables where old shifters would have been. Hence, the frame was designed for handlebar shifters.
I traced the hubs to be "Campagnolo Record Titaniums"; strange they don't have any markings on the casing apart from dust caps with just the wording "Campagnolo". Those skewers look cheap with a plastic cased gray thumb nuts *not the usual micro sculptured Campagnolo affair*.

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... &AbsPos=18

The yellow decals are badly applied and questionable. Especially "www.alan-bikeframes.com". I emailed Mr Faconi of Alan frames to see if I can get any info on the frame. Love to apply some period correct decals as the Bike condition is Nos with very little shop soil.
If the decals are fake, I will apply these decals without varnish/clear coat to keep the frame look simple:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alan-Bicycle- ... OU:US:3160

As for the rear derailleur; I looked hard on ebay and the cheapest used "Record" I found was $150. instead, I spent $150 on a set of used "Record" shifters. For now, I bought a new Xenon RD to get the bike up and running.

Any thoughts on the make of the converted stem?

These are the parts I ordered to complete the bike:

Used Reconditioned Campagnolo Record 10 speed Ergo shifters converted to 9 speed.

Campagnolo record 9 speed chain.

Campagnolo Veloce 9-speed ultradrive 12-23 Cassette

Campagnolo record Ergo Brake and Derailleur cable set.

2014 Shimano PD-A600 Road SPD Pedals

Deda Mistrel perforated brown bicycle bar tape (they give a leather wrapped look may one day complement that with a leather road saddle) like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selle-Anatomica ... 565c1ff83f

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The head tube badge is the same as my 1980 compitizone and the tubing looks very similar. If it is 80's it is a 126mm frame and you 130mm hub out back. Personally spreading the stays in these frames is asking for toruble so I would take the wheel out and measure. Less than 130mm and you know it the 80's and find another rear wheel.

The hubs I mentioned are from this frame and was sold as a complete unit. The stays measure a tad over 130mm. I found this article and tho the decals are peeling they are authentic and mine look the same. I will have to get some 3M vinyl adhesive to seal them back. Who ever applied them did a terrible job as they are not aligned.
Now the question is; when did Alan start using those colorful decals? I searched for numbers and couldn't find anything close to a date.

http://www.bikecyclingreviews.com/nishi ... road_bike/

47p2":2bcgpalk said:
It's much newer than the early 80s, early frames never had internal cables

ALAN used to date stamp the seat tube up near the top, check there and see if there is any numbers

This is a 1980 ALAN Super Record

P1010684.jpg

47p2 - I have just bought your near identical bike. It is stamped N280 - I understand the 80 being 1980, do you know what the N2 is?

Re: Re:

dineshh":2uwoffip said:
Why I think it is a mid to late 90s is that apart from the internal cable guides, it has shift adjusters for the cables where old shifters would have been. Hence, the frame was designed for handlebar shifters.
If i'm not mistaken they are the standard bolt on adjusters. Take them off and you'll have a standard downtube shifter boss underneath.

Back