Name these pedals?

*sigh*, Nov 1975............ I was just about to turn 16 :)

any chance of having sight of it. ?

Shaun

Lazarus":2na85ag4 said:
Hi buddy :) Almost certainly Campagnolo Super Record / Record Pista. Highly sought after and these appear to be in good nic so best of luck with the sales my friend. I'd imagine that if you asked for £50 + postage you'd bleed to death (arm being ripped off).

http://velobase.com/ListComponents.aspx ... 5628ea75e7

Try this page for confirmation. SR have Titanium spindles and Record non titanium. Not sure how to "ID" the titanium version but the link will help solve any minor issues. All the best, Laz.

Sorry, but you are slightly off with the information. The OP's pedals are actually Superleggeri Pista pedals and NOT Super Record. This is however a common mistake. Back in the 70's and early 80's, there were in fact three pedals in the "Record" family, each of which was made in both road and track versions: the basic pedal model was the Record version which featured an alloy body with steel cages and chro-moly spindle/axle (these are easily recognizable by their silver appearance); there was then the Superleggero version (also known as pedali superleggeri as leggero is pluralized), which had the same alloy pedal body and chro-moly axle/spindle as the Record version but instead featured a black anodized alloy cage (as seen in the OP's photo), this reduced the overall weight considerably without any appreciable change in durability; lastly, there was the Super Record pedals which once again had the same alloy body and alloy cage found on the Superleggeri pedals, however instead of the chro-moly axle/spindle, had a titanium axle/spindle which appreciably dropped the weight of the pedals. Furthermore, the change to a titanium axle/spindle also required a change in the cones, cups and number of ball bearings. If you were to compare the various models based upon their 1986 wholesale prices, where the Record version were sold at 100, then the Superleggeri pedals would sell at 125 and Super Record would sell at 240 (hence almost twice as much as its similar looking superleggero version!) So be advised that to confuse the Superleggeri pedals and the Super Record ones is meaningful both as regards weight and value.

One can recognize whether you have super record or superleggeri pedals by comparing the weight, by checking whether a magnet sticks to the axle/spindle (it will NOT stick to titanium) as well as by the sheen of the axle/spindle. The Chro-moly axles/spindles are in fact shinier that the titanium ones.

The difference between the strada (road) and the pista (track) versions are exclusively in the cages. The track versions did not have the horseshoe shaped continuous cage, but rather two plates, with the idea being that on the track one needed as much cornering clearance as was possible (it was however quite common for people back in the day to take road pedals and simple file down the outlying part of the cage to replicate the track version, especially after one had hit a pedal in a curve and had badly scraped up their pedals already... I wonder how I know that ;)

Back