Mystery and Unidentified Parts

Actually I think the AC cranks are far cooler than the Balance Bike itself ;)
Adventure Components 1996 1.jpg

Just realized that the 1996 models FS and AL 750 had those by default.
Balance 1996 4.jpg

Google image search AC Adventure cranks. I think that is what they might be.
Wow, that looks right! Thanks so much. I'd tried image search and didn't have any luck.

Now time to decide if it's worth buying the bike just for a pair of obscure vintage cranks...

Whoa! Thanks for the scans. The bike in question is in fact a Balance AL 750. From the ad it also looked like the brakes were either Avid Tri-Align or Onza HO, and the scan confirms the Onzas. Very cool!
I've missed to buy once an AL 750 offered in German classifieds.

There was not much too see at the picture, but yes the Onza Brakes in combination with Avid SD2.0 lever
Barracuda Avid Onza HO Bremesen eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg

I haven't paid attention that this would have been than very likely also equipped with a nice AC crank, damn 🙄

I've missed to buy once an AL 750 offered in German classifieds.

There was not much too see at the picture, but yes the Onza Brakes in combination with Avid SD2.0 lever
View attachment 841143

I haven't paid attention that this would have been than very likely also equipped with a nice AC crank, damn 🙄
What a weird combo...aren't the SD levers all long-pull and meant for V brakes?

I also share your pain because this bike has since sold in the time I spent looking for answers. And it was listed at only $125 US. I should have bought it first and asked questions later!

Did these ac cranks come in top-end cnc us made model and then, later, a Sugino cast item for OE fitting? (Like white industries)

What a weird combo...aren't the SD levers all long-pull and meant for V brakes?
yeah, typically they have been used in combination with Avid SD V-Brakes.
But Avid has introduced levers already in 1995, a slightly before the breakthrough of V-Brakes.
If you look carefully, and sorry my scan is rubbish, the Avid 2.0 levers are mentioned in the Balance brochure for 1996 too.

The nice Ultimate levers came with different internal chips either for short or long pull brakes.

BTW, same Balance AL 750 bike came the year after for 97 season with regular - and very boring - XT cranks and V-Brakes.

I also share your pain because this bike has since sold in the time I spent looking for answers. And it was listed at only $125 US. I should have bought it first and asked questions later!
Uh, that's sad 😟
But as mentioned, we both seem to have missed to buy once a nice equipped Balance bike.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that very likely the Onza HO brakes would have been broken anyhow (like most other old Onza brakes, doesn't matter if used or not)

Did these ac cranks come in top-end cnc us made model and then, later, a Sugino cast item for OE fitting? (Like white industries)
No, I'm not aware.
AC has introduced 97 than more regular looking other aluminum cranks called LoPro, most likely cheaper to produce.
Adventure Components 1998 1.jpg

Not too many bikes had AC cranks from the factory.
The very nice 1995 DB Axis TT Pro (titan) bike was another example
Diamond Back 1995 Axis TT pro.jpg

Last edited:
Hey chaps and chapettes.
Just joined, as I thought I'd start hanging with anorak level experts rather than frustrate myself with endless resultless internet searches.
Looking to buy some forks, but the seller is not very helpful. Seems a Marzocchi MXC, but not confident. Asked for scrutinising photos, all I got was this.

Here is the listing. I think that bike looks lovely.
Thanks in advance, guys.
x

Attachments

• $_12.jpeg
    $_12.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 8
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back