My Son’s first retro – A homage to the man - DONE (Page 6)

Re: Re:

WandsworthRouleur":1uupfva7 said:
Antstark":1uupfva7 said:
...They make such great kids' bikes compared to the massively heavy or astonishingly expensive new bikes.

Even the bottom ladder Kona build I've done for my daughter is; maybe she needs a frame upgrade soon!

Re:

Don't be under any misapprehension that this build is anything to do with my son. :D. He is merely a passenger in the process :xmas-wink:

Re:

:LOL: absolutely. We'd probably detest their bikes if the decision was theirs

Re: Re:

He said he would like a road bike tonight...I pretended to be deaf. :LOL:

raidan73":17hu8kbt said:
:LOL: absolutely. We'd probably detest their bikes if the decision was theirs

Re:

Spent the morning cutting a perfectly good Pace steerer tube in half.... headset pressed in.... bars and stem on so we at least have a rolling chassis now. Noticed a bit of play in the front wheel which is a bit annoying I'll have to deal with that this week. Might as well get new bearings.

Next up is the drive train. Going XT for the mechs but LX for the chainset. Again its for kid proof practicality, the steel rings will gnaw through any logs or trail debris he chooses to aim at. The LX chainset was NOS (removed from a new bike) I just blinged it up with some Ti self extracting bolts. :cool:

Diacompe 987s with red fibrax pads in place now too........just needs cabling up now :D

I did think about a DCD but decided against it for 2 reasons...firstly I couldn't actually find a red one anywhere and secondly when I fitted the one I do have it looked stupid compared to the size of the bike. Trusty NOS sharkfin installed instead

Attachments

• IMG_3602.JPG
    IMG_3602.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_3601.JPG
    IMG_3601.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_3608.JPG
    IMG_3608.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 615
Re:

Right, so the end is in sight! Seatpost arrived mid week..an odd size (30.2) so have been struggling to find anything suitably retro. Resorted to a polished kalloy courtesy of malc at cycle clinic for now. It's pretty much the same as a Ritchey FD.

Most exciting is the saddle..which took a week to get here from the US but is a great match for the build. Specialized Prolong..not a grey ti one admittedly .but it looks ace!

Pedals sorted too now. Plan was for odyssey triple traps but the horror on my sons face when he saw them was something else..I could see him reaching for the shin pads. These little beauties will do just fine though...Fasten 1994 (rocky mountain) small cage, cartridge bearings, Ti spindle..205g for the pair!

Attachments

• IMG_3642.JPG
    IMG_3642.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_3641.JPG
    IMG_3641.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_3640.JPG
    IMG_3640.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 558
Re:

Some accessories..NOS rib cage and MBUK Specialized Bottle :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3644.JPG
    IMG_3644.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_3643.JPG
    IMG_3643.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 556
Re: My Son’s first retro – A homage to the man

The Bottle's the most perfect accessory for it :)

Re:

Yeah thanks mate :cool: ..it was just made for it!

Should have completed build pics up tomorrow :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_3645.JPG
    IMG_3645.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 551
Re:

Turns out the bottom bracket axel was way to long for the cranks i had chosen :facepalm: Been farting about trying to get a new one this week. Bloody bank holidays don't help! and I refused to pay the £26.99 for an bog standard UN55 BB from the LBS. Ha!

Finally got a temporary fix today so final(ish) pics will be up tomorrow

Back