My Recent Tour to Austria by bike

Re: Re:

bagpuss said:
link to my flickr site.
The pictures record places I visited / passed through.they are not works of art etc :roll:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@ ... 159080522/
bike used.
Mercian vincitore special 1996.
Wheels, Mavic rims on, Campag Record l/f 32 front . Hope 8sp rear.
TA sqt c/s 46,36,26.
Gears Campag .f'r.
Cinelli bars and stem.
Brooks B17 on Campag record sp.
Tyres Continental Hardshell 25x 700.
One pinch puncture in 1200 something miles .During rough stuff section.I will add details of other kit soon.
Water proofs . Rain legs ,knee length spats,light weight rain top.Other
Cycling kit . spd touring shoes ,touring shorts with liners.{ I soon replaced these with 2 pairs of one piece bib shorts . This was because I found them far to warm in 25 c + summer temps . In Southern Germany & into Austria temp reached 30c+ 3 summer weight cycling tops . Off bike cloths 2 pairs of lightweight walking trousers with removable legs.3 pairs of socks & underwear . Micro towel . Washing as a travelled . Basic first aid ,Wash kit . Posted home any kit replaced .

Route outline to follow.

Great stuff. I've ridden the Danube in Germany 15 years ago. It's a fabulous country to tour in, I am always amazed so few Brits go there.

I take it you were staying in hotels / hostels / B&Bs? Otherwise some seriously technical light camping kit judging from your panniers.

Re:

correct all 3 types used . I had not pre booked any accommodation save 1 night at gainsboro en route to hull .How ever I did use mrs b to find me reasonable priced digs in some places .
re camping great if younger , but been on the wrong side of 55 ...no
plus the very warm weather .
Boil in a bag comes to mind .also some days it poured it down breaking camp /pitching would not have been my idea of fun . Prices varied on route the best been 25 e in Austria {working farm and the most friendly of all.} With hind sight I should of done more research on accommodation before leaving home . However I did not want to be tied to a firm route and time , mileage
Sat nav used in the main to locate places to stay .

note to self . avoid dunkel beer to next time . 7 lbs in weight gained :facepalm:
Average mileage 52 m 24 days out of 33 on road Followed by a 4 day stop {Kapurn}.arrived Austria 1 week ahead of schedule . stayed at kapurn to await mrs arrival in Salzburg .
Last 130k to finish there .

Very impressive ride (and pictures!). It must have been extremely enjoyable. Was this a solo undertaking?

Thanks very much.

HW

good stuff, lovely countryside.

It was only yesterday I was talking to the racing lads and tried to explain that having done all the racing stuff myself many moons ago, touring is still the most beautiful and exciting aspect of cycling. The excitement of not knowing what you'll see tomorrow, or where you will be sleeping, or who you meet on route ... Twas lost on deaf ears though.

Interestingly, I've never owned a touring a bike. I've just fitted a rack to either a full on racing bike with a big freewheel or rack on a roadified MTB. Maybe I need a new bike and panniers for next year.

Re:

Yes this was a solo ride .I have done many a tour with friends in the uk . However none could have spared so much time to do the ride .
I had done no pre ride training other that my normal mileage and last winter due to A F my cardio version did not happen till February I did little winter riding , so a solo ride suited me .
The trip was to me about the journey and people and places ,never how far or fast . I will post a brief route out line soon .

Re:

Route out line.
Derby to Gainsboro {overnight stop} Onto Hull.
Rotterdam following the Waal & Rhine up river on the cycle route .
This can be viewed on line . http://www.rhinecycleroute.eu/
I left the Rhine at Karlsruhe turning left across southern Germany as
Suttgart{by bypassed} Prorzhiem {big hills here super low gear gear used aka shanks pony}
Prozhiem to Ulm { Old Ulm is well worth visiting}
Ulm to Augsburg {again a lovely city}
Ausburg to Furstenfeldbruck near Muchen .City visited by train .
F,bruck to Sauerlach .
Sauerlach to Rosenheim .
Rosenheim following river Inn into Austria to Kirchichl
Kirchichl through part of the Tirol to Kapurn and a cold beer or 2
Kapurn to Salzburg via the Tauernradweg possibly the highlight of the tour going through the Salzach river gorge .
Route across southern Germany I followed a rough outline I had made before leaving home . total 2,000 k including r & r days {sight seeing}Finally into Salzburg and another cold one.
Departed home 10 June arrived Kapurn 12 July . Stayed for 4 nights to await mrs b,s arrival in Salzburg on the 19 July .
Spares carried;
3 inner tubes {1 used} folding tyre, Topeak multi tool , tyre easy tool, levers ,spare links ,zip ties,two pumps .

Back