My Raleigh Torus titanium

torus fs, cages and cranks

You're all right I do need to have matching bottle cages, and FS did stand for Frame Set. They offered the frame in matt or polished finishes at the time.
As for the cranks; I will replace those at some point. At the moment, they match the scuffed bar ends, scuffed rear mech, and scuffed legs...

Memories,

My first Titanium bike was a Dyna Tech Torus STX RC, blue graphics, Blue UGLI forks and matching stem, I also had the stock Michelin tires replaced with Panaracer Smoke and Dart Magics.

I had that frame for some years, right up to full XT with V brakes and an XTR 950 rear mech with Crossmax wheels and dark blue Judy's, with a stupid light 120 gramm UGLI titanium stem.

Its prime was a previous spec with full XT n dark , red hope hubs on Mavic 217 ceramics and red alloy nips, Xlite ZE post with red head, red Xlite 168 stem, rd Xlite ti skewers, Xlite ti brake boss, seat binder bolts with red collars, Answer Hyperlights...

Re: torus fs, cages and cranks

daztorusfs":3rzc3d83 said:
You're all right I do need to have matching bottle cages, and FS did stand for Frame Set. They offered the frame in matt or polished finishes at the time.

The thing to look for on all RSP built product is the BS6102 sticker.

If it is Gold, it was sold as a fully built bike.
If it is Silver, it was sold as a frame or frame with fork.

I don't know why I shouldn't like it ..because I don't

it's a weird and wonderfull looking thing chap

Update on my Torus.
The bike is no more. Was gutted to find cracks in the seat tube/stay weld that carried on in to the seat tube, so I stopped riding it back in 2012. I made enquiries in to getting it repaired, but it would have meant replacing the whole seat tube, so not worth it. On close inspection, my theory is that the short aluminium sleeve inside the seat tube may have caused excess leverage on the part of the frame from the seat post. That said, I did use and abuse the bike for 17 years...
It's not the end of the Torus story though. A while back, the publishers of the book '1001 Bikes to dream of riding' got in touch, asking for a photo of my Torus. I was happy to oblige, and it looks like it made in to the book! The write up mentions the Trimnell forks, whereas mine had AMP F3 on it, but it's still awesome to think my old bike has been immortalised like that.
Aaaand, as if that wasn't a good enough result by itself; I'm moving away, and wasn't able to take my beloved frame with me, so I contacted Rockets and Rascals Bicycle Emporium in Plymouth, about donating it to them for display. They love their retro bikes, and even have a John Tomac Yeti hung on their wall.
They were happy to take the frame (gave them my Syncros stem too), so if you're passing that way in the future, pop in and look out for my old Torus FS!

Back