My paltry selection

retroislandbikes

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone, I thought it was about time I joined up and recorded a bit of my cycling history now that i've reached my mid 30's and retrobikes were actually the cutting edge rather than the past.

Aged 13 or 14 my first decent bike was a 1995 Trek 6500, with snowflake wheels and a punishing oversized aluminium frame. I rode that up and down Snowdon a few times, my body taking quite a pounding I remember having to stop and shake the blood back into my hands thanks to rigid forks and cantis. Tacoing the wheels saw a nice shiny new set of Mavic 521CD ceramics which stood up to the beating handed out better than the lighter originals.

Saving up for a while saw an upgrade to a shiny new Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, I remember it had some rubbish Rockshox forks on it, they were the first thing to be upgraded to some plusher Rockshox, which actually worked. Next up came 521's again, and a downgrade to 8 speed in search of longer lasting chains due to the mileage I was clocking up at the time. Not being able to drive we'd think nothing of riding to a mountain, then the actual ride, then home again. I was a fair bit fitter in those days! A hope C2 front disc was added at great expense, I think they were about £300 by the time i'd had a new wheel built

At the same time came a Marin B17, and learning to drive so weekend were spent firing ourselves down the mountains in the Lake District, Peak District and North Wales. I built it up as a downhill bike with a set of Stratos MX6 forks, Hope front disc, the 521's and some Tioga 2.3 Factory DH tyres which at the time seemed amazing. Running a single ring at the front meant it struggled a bit ot get it up hill, I became better at pushing to counteract this.

Motorbikes then sneaked in, the HooKooEKoo was stolen, the B17 was taken out for a spin occasionally, a move to London stopped my mountain biking, instead enjoying hustling with the traffic on a 3-speed ladies bike.

Moving out of London Bristol bound in 2010 saw a mid/late 90's Kona Cindercone arrive which is what i'd term as my main bike to this day. Having one I ended up buying another to pinch the set of Project 2's from, but ended up keeping that one as well.

That nearly brings us up to date, today I chanced upon a lovely Kona Kilauea, it appears fairly original still with the A:/ and B:/ drive tyres on it. I think my plans for it are simply to clean it up, give it a thorough service, then enjoy riding it. I may stick in a set of suspension forks i'll see how my older body copes with not having any first of all. It's got XT thumbshifters, front and rear mechs, Sugino cranks, LX hubs on Kona 399 rims. I'm not sure what year it is. The manual heftometer says it's pretty light, a fair bit lighter than my Cindercone with suspension forks.

Attachments

• DSC_9819a.jpg
    DSC_9819a.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSC_9816a.jpg
    DSC_9816a.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSC_9820a.jpg
    DSC_9820a.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSC_9822a.jpg
    DSC_9822a.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSC_9825a.jpg
    DSC_9825a.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 1,010
Re:

Thanks for clearing up what year it is, I can vaguely remember wishing I could afford one of these after seeing them in MBUK as a teenager. I'm looking forwards to getting it up and running and taking it for a ride out.

Here's my Kona Cindercone on top of Scafell Pike after a lung busting climb up.

10273426_10152334783036210_4212319068845756962_n.jpg

10171777_10152336039846210_6786261953310880732_n.jpg

I may stick in a set of suspension forks i'll see how my older body copes with not having any first of all.

OK. Listen up. Repeat after me. "I'm am a proper man. I don't need suspension" :D

Those Kona P2 forks are pretty well respected, and nice and light and give good handling by all accounts. IMO would be a shame for them to part company with the frame. I Certainly wouldn't jump to put a shock on there if it was mine, but seriously it is your ride.. whatever works for you I guess - Put them up for sale on here if it goes that way!

Re:

Hi,
Good to see you've paid your dues riding up big mountains on less than perfect MTBS !!!

re the Kona:
I reckon early 90s frames (90 -93) are best ridden with a short rigid fork.
I'm not sure that all the manufacturers were really sold on the suspension idea back then, so weren't designing frames with it in mind.
I tried all the early suspension forks around that time on a frame that was never designed to be used with sus forks (Salsa Ala Carte) and finally went back to rigid.
So if it came with a rigid BITD its best to keep it that way :D :D

Back