My Old School Kona collection

dan the kona fan

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone,

Just found this fantastic site today, glad to see so many people are keeping retro bikes alive.

I had no idea how rare it seems my old battered kona fire mountain is until today. I've managed to stop my dad taking it to the tip on a few occasions in the past (its been living in his shed for the last 15 years :roll: ), and its kept pretty well. I originally bought it in 1988 (or rather my dad did) from Bromley cycles when I was 10 and it started a love affair with kona's ever since! The bike is still 90% original parts, the only bits that have been changed/lost are the handlebar grips, saddle, tyres (obviously!). Apparently, as I have found out here, the curved P2 forks are pretty rare - unfortunately they are slightly bent from a drunken teenage prank (rode into a concrete bollard whilst blotto). Apart from that there isn't any serious damage, lots of scratches and surface rust, but pretty sound. When I was an impoverished student I used to mountain bike with it in its current state (much to the dismay of the mountain bike club safety officer), so the forks aren't in danger of imminently snapping (probably :LOL: )

Here are some pics of it (http://picasaweb.google.com/dan.j.rogers/UntitledAlbum):

Full bike

DSCF0383.JPG

Biopace chainring

DSCF0382.JPG

Original 1 piece Exage shifters and brake levers:

DSCF0384.JPG

The Bicycle Group decal:

DSCF0385.JPG

Kona Fire Mountain with splatters over it!:

DSCF0387.JPG

Bent P2's:

DSCF0390.JPG

Stem with strange pulley thing:

DSCF0391.JPG

I also have a 1996 Kona Koa (which replaced the above), which I am currently converting into a single speeder, and a 2006 King Kikapu.

Koa Frame:

DSCF0392.JPG

Closeup:

DSCF0393.JPG

Handlebar and stem:

DSCF0394.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the pics, let me know if you want an more info.

Cheers,

Dan

(edited to fix links)

Back